Alchemy

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Lazaroth

Re: Alchemy

Post by Lazaroth »

Made a change to the max_magnitude. There was a problem with the old one and larger values.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I just noticed some recent additions to the alchemy part of the formulae page. Are these final? Especially the eating ingredients part?

Actually, I have two questions regarding ingredients eating:

1. Duration is given relative to magnitude. Are we talking about the max magnitude here or the randomly generated magnitude between 1 and max magnitude.

2. There are still plenty of magic numbers in the formula. Are we absolutely sure that there is no GMST for that?
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Zini wrote: 2. There are still plenty of magic numbers in the formula. Are we absolutely sure that there is no GMST for that?
There is at least a field in the skill records for that (default value 0.50).
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is just the usage type specific skill gain factor. Not related to duration or magnitude AFAIK.
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Zini wrote:I just noticed some recent additions to the alchemy part of the formulae page. Are these final? Especially the eating ingredients part?

1. Duration is given relative to magnitude. Are we talking about the max magnitude here or the randomly generated magnitude between 1 and max magnitude.
In regard to final, it would be nice to have someone else confirm it. But the formula even spotted errors in my data points, which I could confirm was wrong (i.e. the formula was right).

Magnitude is the random chosen number and max_magnitude is the maximum possible number. I've used them consistently throughout everything. Duration is relative to magnitude.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Lazaroth wrote: In regard to final, it would be nice to have someone else confirm it.
I can have a small test run for this, this weekend.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Myckel wrote:
Lazaroth wrote: In regard to final, it would be nice to have someone else confirm it.
I can have a small test run for this, this weekend.
Busy IRL recently, but looking at this at the moment. One question, how does this relate to this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Alchemy
BasePotionStrength = (Alchemy/EffectBaseCost + Luck/(EffectBaseCost * 10) + Intelligence/(EffectBaseCost *10)) * MortarQuality / 3
BasePotionDuration = BasePotionStrength * 3
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Lazaroth wrote:
Zini wrote: 1. Duration is given relative to magnitude. Are we talking about the max magnitude here or the randomly generated magnitude between 1 and max magnitude.
Magnitude is the random chosen number and max_magnitude is the maximum possible number. I've used them consistently throughout everything. Duration is relative to magnitude.
I've created some potions with the same ingredient, all have the same duration (even after levelling alchemy), don't see how that is random. Although it fits in your formula... a lot else would fit as well.

Int. 30, Luck 40
Alch 20: Drain fatigue, 2pts for 7 seconds, weight 0.3, value 13, Max. magnitude = 4, duration = 9
Alch 21: Drain fatigue, 2pts for 7 seconds, weight 0.3, value 14, Max. magnitude = 6, duration = 13

I'm not confident that this is the final formula. Could you give some examples that you used to generate these formulas?

<edit>
Picked some old data from my archive, doesn't fit for the duration:
Int. 30, Luck 40
Alch 17: Drain personality 4pts for 12 seconds, weight 0.1, value 11, Max. magnitude = 4, Duration = 9
</edit>
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

It's eating an ingredient I've done, not creating a potion. That is not random and I have not written that formulae on the wiki, merely separated it from the eating part.

This
Lazaroth wrote: Duration = (magnitude * 2) + 1

Max_magnitude = floor(0.152 * Alch + 0.0158 * Luck + 0.0324 * Int)
is related to
Zini wrote:When eating an ingredient the first effect is applied to the actor. But I can't see anything in the data structures about things like magnitude and duration. Any input on that?
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Ah... that explains.