Support for localized versions of Morrowind?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
mark

Support for localized versions of Morrowind?

Post by mark »

Some time ago I bought the german version of Morrowind+addons. I then found out that I was unable to apply mods to this version because all strings for items etc have been localized too (I seriously don't know why the company did this, this is dumb and sad at once). I would like to know if OpenMW has known issues with localized versions.
Also would it be possible to implement some sort of translation layer for mods, like if a mod looks for 'sword' and this string is not found then additionally look into some sort of hardcoded translation table/hash generated from different language versions of MW to find the localized string for 'sword'?
If you need to know more I can dig out my discs.
Zini

Re: Support for localized versions of Morrowind?

Post by Zini »

Some time ago I bought the german version of Morrowind+addons. I then found out that I was unable to apply mods to this version because all strings for items etc have been localized too (I seriously don't know why the company did this, this is dumb and sad at once).
I am pretty sure that you are mistaken here. I also have a localised version of Morrowind.esm and the items IDs are not translated. Some others are though, e.g. cells and dialogue topics.

The core problem here is that for some records the internal name is identical to the name displayed to the player, so there is no other option than to provide ESX files with translated/incompatible IDs. Clearly a design flaw, but nothing that can be fixed immediately.

For cells I can see how we could add an optional internal name. Dialogue topcis are more difficult and I can't think of a quick fix. I would still like to address them eventually.

For your problem, that would mean someone has to create a compatibility plugin (based on the English Morrowind.esm) that would have to be loaded before any plugin when you are playing with your localised Morrowind.esm.
garvek

Post by garvek »

I confirm, I've been able to make work several french plugins on top on vanilla (ie. Bethesda MW) English and vice versa. But not all was operationnal (some dialogues in particular were broken), but apart the strange names, it seems to work.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

there are converters for esp to make them fit in localized version of esm
corristo

Post by corristo »

We have at least one issue related to localized versions: http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/265
I don't know if it's related to european versions, but for Russian it's related indeed.

I hope to address this issue when multiple esm/esp support is finished (or at least some stage of it finished).