Fallout : New Vegas ?!?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Nasra

Fallout : New Vegas ?!?

Post by Nasra »

Hi everyone !

I follow the OpenMW project since 0.28 version and enthousiast to play Morrowind on my Linux system.

I see the recent changelog from 0.46 and one name particuraly draw my attention : Fallout : New Vegas.
Support for loading the compressed BSA format from Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and 2011 Skyrim games (#5000) - cc9cii & Azdul
I'm a very fan of this game and suppose it there is a support for this game, the team communicates more precisely on that. Fallout games are based on Oblivion Engine and are always very buggy, a support of OpenMW will be a great news !

Can we have more informations on that ?

Thanks !
DestinedToDie

Re: Fallout : New Vegas ?!?

Post by DestinedToDie »

Nasra wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 15:08Can we have more informations on that ?
I suppose. Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7V-IUN9UrU

But to explain a bit further. Back when Scrawl was doing the switch from Ogre3D to OSG rendering software, cc9cii started his own little project where he tried to make OpenMW load Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim game content. This is all based on Ogre3D and efforts have been made (by psi29a and Azdul) to salvage some of cc9cii's work and merge it with the current up to date main fork that uses OSG.

Progress is being made but keep in mind we are lightyears away from OpenMW being able to run Fallout: New Vegas the way it currently runs Morrowind. The sky is the limit, someone just has to work their way up there.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

The changelog entry means that OpenMW 0.46.0 can load Bethesda format archives packed with tools that use the formats that these games (FO3, FNV, TES4, TES5) use. It absolutely does not mean it can run the models (sometimes textures) or content files of these games. 0.47.0 will support Skyrim SE archives too as the necessary amount of changes is minimal.

Don't be misguided by cc9cii videos, while they're excellent at demonstrating what his OpenMW 0.36.0 fork is capable of, upstream OpenMW is not comparable with what is available there in this regard.

Latest code includes an option to utilize the (very basic) experimental non-Morrowind NIF support, but unlike the "ported" compressed BSA support it's not based on cc9cii's code at all. And it's very basic. (I've added it.)
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

I'm hoping one day someone will make use of the demonstrated capabilities :-) If it is possible with old Ogre then it is certainly possible with OSG.

Anyhow, I'll continue on with Oblivion/FO3/FONV/Skyrim as much as I can.