Maybe a bug around luck...

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
zelurker

Maybe a bug around luck...

Post by zelurker »

There is a crazy bosner in tribunal, Gaenor, see there : https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Gaenor
he has an insane luck which makes him almost untouchable.
Well since I am quite stubborn, I tried a few methods against him anyway, and found that I can hit him a lot with the bow (if I keep him busy with some summons, because it's a lot harder to hit a moving target with openmw), but with nothing specific to boost marksman, which was at 48. Well I could beat him just with that, it forced me to use quite a lot of summons, I lost quite a few scrolls in the process, but finally it was quite quick and much quicker than the time announced in the uesp.
So I suspect I shouldn't have been able to hit him so easily with a bow, and there's probably something missing somewhere about the luck of the target.
Of course it works only with a ranged weapon, at close range he is a nightmare, almost untouchable but who can kill in only a few hits.
I was level 15 only... and this was with v0.46.
Capostrophic

Re: Maybe a bug around luck...

Post by Capostrophic »

Luck is being considered for projectile hits as well. Hit chance calculation is shared between ranged and melee combat. Blame the RNG for your victories.
Husaco

Re: Maybe a bug around luck...

Post by Husaco »

"Easily 45 minutes" is a gross exaggeration from my experience of fighting that NPC. The hit chance formula used by OpenMW can be seen here, if you're willing to do the maths. It actually should be practically impossible to hit him (100 AG + 770 LU = defense term of 97) with a bow with 48 marksman without heavy boosts, but you'd need to investigate it on your end as I can't see anything obviously wrong with the implementation and it seems to work properly in practice, and there are a lot of things on your end that could affect it.