Possible issue with potion crafting?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Time4Tea

Possible issue with potion crafting?

Post by Time4Tea »

Hi there,

I have noticed what might be a possible issue with potion crafting. Whenever I try to make a potion, when I select the ingredients, by default it seems to use up the entire stock of the ingredient I select. As far as I can see, there is no option to use just one of the ingredient, or decide how many I want to put in, which is kind of a pain if I wanted to make more than one of a particular potion.

Now, that might be the same way it works in the original game (I can't actually remember!). But, even if it is, I think it would be a great improvement to allow people to choose how much of an ingredient they put in. I also don't know if using more of an ingredient makes the potion stronger (it doesn't seem to say in the manual). If it doesn't, then clearly there is no benefit to using up the entire quantity of an ingredient. But, even if it does, it would be great to have the option to choose how much. "Do I want to make one super-potion, or 5 lesser ones ...?"

Just a (hopefully constructive) suggestion. I don't know, probably someone's suggested it already before ... :)
akortunov

Re: Possible issue with potion crafting?

Post by akortunov »

I do not understand the issue. Both Morrowind and OpenMW use 1 ingredient of selected type per potion.
For example, if you have 4 large and 5 small kwama eggs, you can make up to 4 potions (every potion will use 1 small and 1 large egg).
Time4Tea wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 14:11 If it doesn't, then clearly there is no benefit to using up the entire quantity of an ingredient.
1. It does not.
2. We will not change it since we use Morrowind's game mechanics.
3. Additional ingredients are used to add additional effects to potion (up to 8 effects per potion).
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

@akortunov: my recent experience with it in OpenMW is that there seems to be no way to use any less than the full quantity of an ingredient that you have. So, if I have 4 large kwama eggs in my inventory, it seems to be forcing me to use all 4 when I make a potion. As far as I can see, there is no way I can use 1 and just make 1 potion. It may be that will create 4 potions, but still, that may not be what I wanted to do (I.e. I may want to use the other ones for different potions).

I will explore it some more and verify that it works the same way in the original. It's possible that I have some setting set that I don't realize, or that I'm missing the correct in-game mechanic. However, I thought the quantity of potions desired is set by the number at the bottom of the potion creation window?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Are you doing something weird that might be confusing the game into thinking you're holding the create button down? E.g. are you using a controller or a weird keyboard's macro keys?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

The code that decides whether to use the maximum count of ingredients possible or the value set in the count field in the lower left corner of the alchemy window (the former is chosen if it's smaller) is written correctly and it works in my game. Make sure count field doesn't have a larger number than you want (1 in this case).
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

AnyOldName3 wrote:Are you doing something weird that might be confusing the game into thinking you're holding the create button down? E.g. are you using a controller or a weird keyboard's macro keys?
No, I'm playing on a desktop PC with standard keyboard and mouse, so I don't think that would be the problem.
Capostrophic wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 22:42 The code that decides whether to use the maximum count of ingredients possible or the value set in the count field in the lower left corner of the alchemy window (the former is chosen if it's smaller) is written correctly and it works in my game. Make sure count field doesn't have a larger number than you want (1 in this case).
Ok, I'll try it again tonight and let you know. Perhaps I've misunderstood the mechanics or mis-remembered how it worked in the original game. Thanks
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

Ok, I tried it again, in both OpenMW and the original Morrowind. It does work in OpenMW, but I think what threw me is that the potion creation window seems to work differently to the original, and I was confused as to how to use it.

In the original, there is no 'number of potions' selection box at the bottom of the window. You click to add an ingredient and then you choose for each ingredient how many to add. However, in the OpenMW window, when you click to add an ingredient, it appears to automatically add the total quantity you have, but when you click the 'create' button, it only actually uses what is needed to create the number of potions that are requested.

So, I think it was the difference in the interface that confused me. Although, now I understand how it works, it's fine :)

I assume the reason for the change was to streamline the creation of large numbers of potions?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Basically yes.
ronnavarium

Post by ronnavarium »

Capostrophic wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 12:38 Basically yes.
Which is, whether making potions for self or for profit, a much welcome implementation.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

ronnavarium wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 14:46
Capostrophic wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 12:38 Basically yes.
Which is, whether making potions for self or for profit, a much welcome implementation.
Oh, I agree. It's a good system and it makes a lot of sense. I wasn't criticising, just that I misunderstood how it worked at first. Probably just me being dense.