The Friendly Neighborhood Systems Analyst Asks: Please Take this Survey!

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
vk1970

The Friendly Neighborhood Systems Analyst Asks: Please Take this Survey!

Post by vk1970 »

1. Are you also interested in utilizing OpenMW as an engine for your own game project? If yes, please describe what you have in mind, and what mechanics you feel you need to add,remove, or alter in the engine, or alternatively, how would you manage to adapt to your setting as is?

2. If you're here more for TES, what if any mechanics from other games in the series do you feel merit the highest priorties for development?

3. Do you think we ought to add procedural generation to the editor to speed up the building of world spaces and dungeons? Why or why not?

4. What was your honest reaction to Zini's Post 1.0 Doc?

...and if these questions have been answered in depth in the past, please point me to the threads where that took place, however, I'm sure there are plenty of fresh ideas to be considered. This is FOSS, after all. :) Note: I'm planning on applying to join the team at some point after I spend more time with studying C++ and the source code. As it stands, I know a few other languages and am currently teaching myself Qt and Python for two other projects. I'm primarily interested in working on the CS, for the forseeable future, FWIW, because I feel it has languished alongside the popularity of the engine itself.
lysol

Re: The Friendly Neighborhood Systems Analyst Asks: Please Take this Survey!

Post by lysol »

vk1970 wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 18:36 I'm primarily interested in working on the CS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQXby29_tVo
raevol

Post by raevol »

1. Are you also interested in utilizing OpenMW as an engine for your own game project? If yes, please describe what you have in mind, and what mechanics you feel you need to add,remove, or alter in the engine, or alternatively, how would you manage to adapt to your setting as is?
No. I want to play Morrowind. If I was going to do my own game project, I would write my own engine.
2. If you're here more for TES, what if any mechanics from other games in the series do you feel merit the highest priorties for development?
Better UI. I always felt like the windowed UI in Morrowind was clunky and weird, and I'd like to see it replaced.

Aside from that, some gameplay quality of life improvements, a lot of which can be accomplished by mods, and all of which are completely subjective.
3. Do you think we ought to add procedural generation to the editor to speed up the building of world spaces and dungeons? Why or why not?
"Why not?" I wouldn't use it myself, but it sounds like it would be useful for people who are into that kind of thing.
4. What was your honest reaction to Zini's Post 1.0 Doc?
It was long and I haven't gotten to read all of it yet. I was disappointed that UI customization was written out of it, but we had some discussion about it soon after he posted it, and it seems like that discussion, while stalled, is ongoing.

I'm much more interested in a "getting to 1.0" plan, as that seems to be completely stalled.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

raevol wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 20:53 I'm much more interested in a "getting to 1.0" plan, as that seems to be completely stalled.
That seems to be contingent on a plan to finish the CS which I have not seen yet, either.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We can technically have OpenMW 1.0 without the CS being ready, but need the CS to be ready before we start dehardcoding things, so it's not necessarily going to be delayed, but none of the fun stuff can happen until the CS is done.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

Honestly, it seems like putting the cart before the horse to have the engine finished before the editor, or maybe that's just my DnD roots showing...
:lol: :mrgreen:

But seriously, you need the CS in a much more serviceable state so anyone can port and fix cool but broken mods. As it is, it's an ergonomics trainwreck, and I'll fix it myself if it comes down to it.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If mods are broken, that's because the engine is broken, not because they've not been ported. The only exceptions are mods that rely on engine extensions like MWSE, MCP or MGE XE, and we can't do anything about those until both the engine and the editor are post-1.0.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

I'm sure you're familiar with Godot and Unity... well that is the direction the CS need to be taken for OpenMW to live up to its potential. Don't you think it would better to start that long process now rather than later?

As for things being broken... to my knowledge The Underground still doesn't work in OMW, does it? Well I think that fact alone is damn good reason more attention gets paid to the CS as an IDE. Have you ever tried to load that mod up in the original CS? It's an exercise in masochism.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We're definitely not going to become as flexible as Godot or Unity - both of those aim to be general-purpose game engines, and we're never going to be able to compete with them directly at that. Why would you create a new sidescrolling platformer in some hypothetical future version of OpenMW when a zillion other engines with a lot more industry use and support already exist? However, we are aiming to be flexible enough that you should be able to make new Elder Scrollsy/Fallouty RPGs with OpenMW, and in an ideal world, we'd reach a point where The Elder Scrolls IX and The Witcher 5 are both made in OpenMW (even if that's incredibly unlikely).
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

That was a great lesson in missing the point. Bravo! The Elder Scrolls and Fallout game paradigms are stagnating. While I don't view innovating the combat as a priority, I do see innovating the world interaction and behavior as a priority, making the game more of a simulation with better level progression and more intelligent adventure elements. Borrowing ideas from other IDE's might help moving us along the way to facilitating that for a much broader demographic. Unless you don't give a shit about that, and if you don't then please, just be honest about it.

Unity and Godot allow you to do anything but you still have to sit down and reinvent the wheel to do it, and OpenMW doesn't and shouldn't. I've investigated what assets are already available for other engines and they are pedestrian at best, for the purpose of simulations and world building, but their IDE's are several magnitudes more advanced than even Skyrim's CK, although the CK is a very approachable piece of software in it's own right. And no offense, but from how far up your ass did you have to reach to pull this notion that I had any interest in 2d in OpenMW?
Last edited by vk1970 on 28 Jun 2019, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.