The Friendly Neighborhood Systems Analyst Asks: Please Take this Survey!

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
silentthief

Re: The Friendly Neighborhood Systems Analyst Asks: Please Take this Survey!

Post by silentthief »

yeah, I know (derp). Had to correct that afterwards

ST
pointlesspeasant

Post by pointlesspeasant »

1) Possibly, what's more likely is that I will attempt to join an existing team with smilair goals. All of my desired features are related to AI in some way - full control of character animation, improved dialog (more user friendly CS tools, real time conversations, lip sync), better functioning package system (something akin to Oblivion.)

2) Nothing in paticular no, I mentioned Oblivon's AI but that's more an example of a desired level of functionaility

3) Whatever is the most stable

4) Very happy with what I've read about AI and waypoints - paticularly package updates and the tracking of actors who's schedules may take them into an active cell, this will be a gamechanger. Would like to have seen more said about the plans for animation
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

1) Not I, though I'd be quite interested in seeing what other people come up with for it.

2) My primary desires engine-side are cloth-like physics for gear and hair, and the ability to play Oblivion and Skyrim on OpenMW, as well as support for the features of the important third-party tools, even if mods have to be significantly reworked to deal with the new implementation. The rest should be on mods to do.

3) Given that I want to make a mod to expand the size of the world to as near Daggerfall scale as possible, HELL YES!

4) Indescribably frustrated that mod-based UI customization was explicitly refused in it, though it seems like Zini may be willing to reconsider. Otherwise, a plan is needed, and it's quite a detailed plan, so generally positive.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

You keep talking about The Underground and how it still doesn't work in OMW. I've started it at least half a dozen times in the original engine and still could never get it to work. It always died 3 days into the mod. I'd love to be able to play it, but it just doesn't work at all :(. I'm not sure what that has to do with a discussion about the CS since it's just an engine problem, though.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

Thank you for at least speaking out about The Underground. What Qarl was trying to accomplish obviously exceeded what was managable by a small team in the original CS. And I brought it up becuase it highlights just how ill equiped the original CS was to create such a mod by a single indiviual or a small group thanks to:

a. how awful mwscript is, which is tied to the incredibly primitive editing in the CS, and this is being addressed,

b. how primitive the UI is,

c. the toughest issue to tackle, a lack of modern game asset and script coding/debugging project management tools, which is too large an issue to discuss right now without much more input from the modding community as well from people who want to do total conversions or new games in this engine.

If you've ever compared the MIDI capabilities of modern DAW's then you might have some idea what a difference the capabilites of your editor can have on final output, then maybe you'll grasp why I brought up the CS in the context of The Underground.

I personally don't want to see the current OpenMW team mired in feature creep for the CS, much less the engine, so I'd rather take some time to study the current CS code and then assemble a team to modernize the CS to bring it up to the standards of the editors you'll find in Godot or Unity. Consider how long it takes for anything interesting to get done using the original CS, and then consider how fast people can churn out good content for Unity.

The MDI and record filtering for the new CS are absolutely steps in the right direction, but it still needs the design and IDE features you'll find in Godot or Unity(especially if you include the ORK framework!)

Qarl's mod is certainly worth fixing but honestly I think fixing it would require a much more capable editing environment. Did you try the patches for the mod?
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

> Did you try the patches for the mod?

I haven't loaded it in years. Even though I've been following this project since basically its inception, this passed weekend was the first time I've booted up Morrowind in probably 10 years. Do the patches make it workable in OMW?
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

claudekennilol wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 18:59 > Did you try the patches for the mod?
Do the patches make it workable in OMW?
It worked for me in vanilla in the past but I haven't tried it in OpenMW.
UseroftheYear

Post by UseroftheYear »

1. Are you also interested in utilizing OpenMW as an engine for your own game project? If yes, please describe what you have in mind, and what mechanics you feel you need to add,remove, or alter in the engine, or alternatively, how would you manage to adapt to your setting as is?

2. If you're here more for TES, what if any mechanics from other games in the series do you feel merit the highest priorties for development?

3. Do you think we ought to add procedural generation to the editor to speed up the building of world spaces and dungeons? Why or why not?

4. What was your honest reaction to Zini's Post 1.0 Doc?
1- Most advanced I get is a little pre-built engine for some ancient version of Java so no.

2- Extensive level of detail formula for distance scenery. Procedurally generated clouds and weather. Procedurally generated landscapes in the editor.

3- this is a no-brainer. If artists wish to sculpt in fine detail they can already do so. Adding procedural generation gives the option to those who don't.

4- none of my business.
halbe

Post by halbe »

1. Yes, I have been working on something similar to Space Station 13 for use in TES3MP. The general idea is that each player on the server has a role to fill on the station like doctor, security guard, janitor, etc but some players have hidden roles like to murder people or summon an evil god. The game is more about social interaction and detective skills than it is about traditional gameplay, but ideally the gameplay systems can be as fleshed out as possible so that there are lots of opportunities for interesting emergent situations. The biggest limiting feature from openmw/tes3mp is the lack of voice chat, other than that I would like client-side Lua scripts, a way to detect which bodypart was hit by an attack (I can already do this but it's quite hacky), a way to remove various UI elements such as the map and add new ones like visual overlays when you are hurt/drunk, and a way for activators to detect when they are hit by attacks or spells so that the environment can be destructible.
  2. NPC schedules and more AI features in general, but I won't have much use for them in my game
  3. Yes but I intend to do the generation server-side.
  4. Pretty nice but I would like to see the UI get dehardcoded, which he wasn't interested in.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

1. Yes.
2. Ubiquitous format support would be cool. Though that's not an actual mechanic from a game. Then probably... uhhh... dragons better rendering and smoother UI user experience?
3. I don't care.
4. No real reaction since I was around when the design doc wasn't yet published, by then hype, later it faded. Well, maybe slight disappointment that it became outdated the day it was released.