Newbie here going into Morrowind for the first time, any suggestions/advice/ whatever else for me?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
halbe

Re: Newbie here going into Morrowind for the first time, any suggestions/advice/ whatever else for me?

Post by halbe »

Capostrophic wrote: 09 May 2019, 18:22 You can't use it when expansions aren't enabled because Morrowind.esm doesn't name quests.
Ah, I only checked by running openmw with only morrowind.esm enabled and seeing if the quests tab was still there. Time to make a patch :^)
Strela99

Re: Newbie here going into Morrowind for the first time, any suggestions/advice/ whatever else for me?

Post by Strela99 »

Why didn't I have such a thread when I started playing Morrowing a couple monts ago?? :o it'd have spared me a lot of suffering... Fortunately enough, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy taught me that savescumming was the key to survival.
PhilZ

Post by PhilZ »

Great tips guys. I was looking into Morrowind for some time to remember how the game was when I originally played it and came across OpenMW, just amazing, would never think I would be able to play this game on a phone.

One thing that seems counterintuitive though is how I have to switch between spells and/or enchanted items. On my Note 8 for example it'd go like this:
- See the enemy, open the inventory select fireball, cast, open inventory scroll to find spell 2, cast, open inventory scroll to find spell 3, cast, ad infinitum.

Similar issue playing with a thief, open inventory and equip weapon, open inventory and switch to lockpick, switch back to weapon, switch again to lockpick/probe.

Is there a better way of going back and forth between spells? If the game takes 60h to finish, as a mage it'll take 285h (exaggeration detected :lol: ), but really, I love the port, just hoping there's a better option/tip here.

Thanks
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

PhilZ - Morrowind/OpenMW have a hotkey system, which I use all the time for just these reasons (hotkeying spells, lockpicks/probes, armorer's hammer, etc.) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MY0rbtT_rc

Not sure how the hotkey map is pulled up in the phone port, though (in "regular" OpenMW, you just hit F1).
JackRyan404

Post by JackRyan404 »

Are you sure about the Morrowind/OpenMW having a hotkey system. I am finding this a bit confusing can you help me further?
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

JackRyan404 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 11:58 Are you sure about the Morrowind/OpenMW having a hotkey system. I am finding this a bit confusing can you help me further?
I am absolutely, 100% sure; please see the Youtube video I already linked above in response to your other post by your alternate account "PhilZ". Again, unfortunately, I'm not sure how the OpenMW phone port calls up the hotkey assignment menu shown there (which, as shown in the video, is accessed by hitting F1 in "standard" OpenMW).

But basically, you press F1, then click on one of the boxes ("1"-"9") that comes up on the screen, then follow the on-screen prompts to assign that key ("1"-"9") to the inventory item or spell of your choice. I'm afraid I can't explain it more than this or what's shown in the video, but good luck!