OpenMW History and Timeline

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
raevol

Re: OpenMW History and Timeline

Post by raevol »

Greendogo wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 09:24 Also, I met up with Raevol once at Comic Con International in San Diego, he's a cool dude. 8-)
Can confirm, also Greendogo is a champ. :D

It's really really minor, but I gave a talk on OpenMW here: https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale12x ... penmw.html

Unfortunately it didn't get recorded. :( But I probably have the slides laying around somewhere. I've been following the project since 2008/2009, but the post history on the forum is probably better than my memory.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Thank you everyone for the input! Especially the dates and links so I can dig around a bit more myself.
NullCascade wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:04 Nicolay didn't have anything directly to do with that. I bought the domain and maintained it for a few years while in college. This was necessary after some discussion on the Google Groups/email discussions, as neither GG nor the Beth forums were suitable for us. When I vanished Lukasz took up the mantle and after a while I set up my domain to redirect to his.
What made their forums unsuitable? Heavy-handed moderators? Lack of flexibility? Legal troubles?
NullCascade wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:04 A timeline seems great to compile for people. It's been a long decade+, and it would help people appreciate the work that has gone into the project by people over the years.
Agreed, that's a large reason I'd like to do this. I think a lot of people have this assumption that it's been the same group of people working on it diligently this whole time, with the same goal in mind, which is obviously not the case.
sgtwisky wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:29 Just wanted to pipe in and say, as someone who has only known about the project since 0.38.0, I find the history shared so far pretty interesting.
Same! (although I think I was around 0.34) I'm already enjoying this more than I thought I would.
raevol wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:38 It's really really minor, but I gave a talk on OpenMW here: https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale12x ... penmw.html

Unfortunately it didn't get recorded. But I probably have the slides laying around somewhere. I've been following the project since 2008/2009, but the post history on the forum is probably better than my memory.
How cool! Too bad about the recording, but if you do find those slides that would be amazing! We've done other talks I think right? I seem to recall someone doing one around when I started here on the forums.

Keep 'em comin'!
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Don't forget about WeirdSexy and his videos! I remember when Slaughterfish were attacking NPCs in Seyda Neen and other NPCs jumping to their demise off the Silt Strider platform. Geez that was a long time ago.
lysol

Post by lysol »

cc9cii wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 23:38 Don't forget about WeirdSexy and his videos! I remember when Slaughterfish were attacking NPCs in Seyda Neen and other NPCs jumping to their demise off the Silt Strider platform. Geez that was a long time ago.
Hahaha oh God. Good times.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Don't forget Star-Demon and his videos ;)
I'd love to have all three of them make a cameo on the 1.0 release video.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Worst-case scenario, we could run Lyrebird on some old OpenMW videos and fake their voices.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Ravenwing wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 22:08 Too bad about the recording, but if you do find those slides that would be amazing!
I found 'em, PM me your email? Or, is there a way we can host them on the website for posterity? @psi29a ?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Aren't they chilling on the wiki?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Capostrophic wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 05:01 Aren't they chilling on the wiki?
Are they? This does give me a case of dejavu...

Yep! https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... _SCaLE_12x

Thank you!
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Lol I like how in your debrief you say your talk was maybe a bit history heavy. Little did you know that's exactly what I'd be looking for :D