Bad collisions around rocks

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Modinstaller

Bad collisions around rocks

Post by Modinstaller »

Rocks don't handle collisions as their shape suggests, they have big cubes around them which make my character hover in the air or burrow slightly into the rock depending on whether the collision box is too high or too low compared to the mesh.

I don't remember this happening in vanilla mw, and I've also surprisingly just encountered this after several dozens of hours of gametime in openmw. Is anyone experiencing the same or is my installation somewhat broken ? And is the fact that I just noticed this a coincidence or was it introduced by the latest patch ? Using 0.44.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Bad collisions around rocks

Post by psi29a »

Screenshots help when explaining the issue. :)
TheGrimblade

Post by TheGrimblade »

Test it on both OpenMW and normal Morrowind. I had a similar issue, but I am pretty sure it is an issue with the collision mesh, and thus a problem with the original game as well. If it is indeed a problem with the original game's meshes, you can find several mods to replace rocks meshes which are compatible with OpenMW. I'm not sure how much this modifies the collision, but you might try On The Rocks if you can handle an increase in poly count: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45140. If nothing else, it'll make your rocks look nicer.

In either case, you should post screenshots so that if there is an issue, a solution can be suggested or it can be added to the bug tracker.
Modinstaller

Post by Modinstaller »

Alright so I just tested and vanilla mw does have this issue as well. It's weird because some rocks have this but not others. I noticed the issue on the way between Balmora and Suran, along the lakeshore. Anyway, nothing wrong with openmw at least !

Sorry bout that :oops:
Entern

Post by Entern »

Modinstaller wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 17:12 Rocks don't handle collisions as their shape suggests, they have big cubes around them which make my character hover in the air or burrow slightly into the rock depending on whether the collision box is too high or too low compared to the mesh.

I don't remember this happening in vanilla mw, and I've also surprisingly just encountered this after several dozens of hours of gametime in openmw. Is anyone experiencing the same or is my installation somewhat broken ? And is the fact that I just noticed this a coincidence or was it introduced by the latest patch ? Using 0.44.
I had the same issue!
i30817

Post by i30817 »

There is a 'On The Rocks' mod for openmw (not the same as the usual) for this. It's a bit of a performance problem child iirc though.