OpenMW First Impression

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
TheWickedGamer

OpenMW First Impression

Post by TheWickedGamer »

I'm an old school gamer, grew up on Atari and Nintendo, so I've been a gamer my whole life. Morrowind was the first game I played of the Elder Scrolls series, so it holds a special place in my heart.

With that said, it's been probably close to a decade since I last played Morrowind, previously I have only ever played it on the original Xbox, so I was excited to play it on PC - if only to test out some mods, never did I imagine someone would have rebuilt the entire engine from scratch.

I now have three hours of playtime on Steam, the first hour was testing mods out while working through the S.T.E.P. guide, the other two hours have been playing on the OpenMW engine. Granted it took me about two days to install all the mods on the S.T.E.P. guide, and close to another one to import them all into OpenMW, but I have to say, it was time well spent.

The first hour of testing mods on the old clunky engine almost made me regret deciding to start playing again - if only for the fact I have dual monitors, and Fullscreen mode is not my friend - I have to play Windowed Fullscreen. While this engine doesn't necessarily have Windowed Fullscreen, it is much more manageable to go to my 2nd monitor than on the original engine, I admit that I do play in Fullscreen mode with this engine, but I can stand it.

The next thing about me, is that I am a controller player. Yes, I play PC games on a controller. Begin hate speech now. Sue me, I grew up on the NES, SNES and the N64, I have never adapted and I never will. I use an Xbox Elite controller and have a program so I can map my keypad, so I can do a whole lot with it. This engine makes playing with a controller so much easier than with the original one.

Of course, this isn't the full release of OpenMW, so we all know before downloading, that it will have it's issues - but it is stable. When I first loaded in, I had my settings set to where I was looking around in a fishbowl, I figured out why and fixed it, and everything looks amazing. I really don't have much bad to say about this engine, even in the state it is in now it is better than the original - in my opinion. Yes, most mods seem to have compatibility issues, as for the controller, I wish we could take away the need for a mouse (or moving cursor). It is rough, but not too rough, definitely manageable.

I will try to remember to check in and add more comments as I play longer, but I don't see my opinion changing much. Excellent job to all who have dedicated their time to this wonderful treasure of a game to bring it up to date.
DestinedToDie

Re: OpenMW First Impression

Post by DestinedToDie »

I know you already spent your time on modding, but you might still find this helpful. https://modding-openmw.com/
TheWickedGamer

Post by TheWickedGamer »

DestinedToDie wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 03:37 I know you already spent your time on modding, but you might still find this helpful. https://modding-openmw.com/
Thank you, I will look through this, I found another guide but it doens't have anywhere close to this many mods.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

TheWickedGamer wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:49The next thing about me, is that I am a controller player. Yes, I play PC games on a controller. Begin hate speech now. Sue me, I grew up on the NES, SNES and the N64, I have never adapted and I never will.
The vast majority of us here are running an open source OS that allows you to install a wide range of desktop environments; we understand the beauty of having the choice to make stuff work just the way you want. You won't get hate speech for preferring a controller here. ;)
TheWickedGamer

Post by TheWickedGamer »

Okulo wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 11:42
TheWickedGamer wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:49The next thing about me, is that I am a controller player. Yes, I play PC games on a controller. Begin hate speech now. Sue me, I grew up on the NES, SNES and the N64, I have never adapted and I never will.
The vast majority of us here are running an open source OS that allows you to install a wide range of desktop environments; we understand the beauty of having the choice to make stuff work just the way you want. You won't get hate speech for preferring a controller here. ;)
Haha, thank man, I appreciate it.