OpenMW convenient defaults

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Johnny99

OpenMW convenient defaults

Post by Johnny99 »

In vanilla Morrowind with MGE XE and MCP, if I have convenient defaults disabled I get microstutter. I get the same microstutter in OpenMW, but I have no idea how to enable convenient defaults in it. Please help me. I was searching for the cause of the microstutter by first disabling the categories such as Bug Fixes in MCP one in one and I think this is the one which causes it. https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=MCP this page claims the feature is implemented, but I don't know how to enable it.
Johnny99

Re: OpenMW convenient defaults

Post by Johnny99 »

So I was able to find it in the config, enabled it, but I still get microstutter. Please someone help me :/ I don't know what to change anymore. Edit: Removing the 60 FPS cap removed the FPS drops, but the cell lag is still there. And I was told OpenMW doesn't have cell loading lag.
wareya

Post by wareya »

OpenMW doesn't throw up a loading screen when cells are loaded, but it can hitch when they're actually inserted into or removed from the active game world.
Chris

Post by Chris »

What exactly do you mean by "microstutter"? The typical definition is unsmooth visuals despite a smooth framerate (e.g. appearance of dropped frames though the actual frame rate is rock steady). Do you mean that, or just short instances where some frames are dropped for real?

Also, OpenMW has no such option as "convenient defaults". That sounds like it would be an amalgamation of MGE and MCP-specific options being set to predetermined values, which isn't applicable to OpenMW which doesn't have all the same options (or handle them all the same way).
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Convenient defaults option makes "always run" and the correct map type (local/global) opened in interiors and exteriors the defaults. Basically pressing Caps Lock in one case and doing nothing in the other when it comes to OpenMW.
Johnny99

Post by Johnny99 »

Chris wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 00:31 What exactly do you mean by "microstutter"? The typical definition is unsmooth visuals despite a smooth framerate (e.g. appearance of dropped frames though the actual frame rate is rock steady). Do you mean that, or just short instances where some frames are dropped for real?

Also, OpenMW has no such option as "convenient defaults". That sounds like it would be an amalgamation of MGE and MCP-specific options being set to predetermined values, which isn't applicable to OpenMW which doesn't have all the same options (or handle them all the same way).
Yes I meant the first thing you said, unsmooth visuals despite a smooth framerate, especially in larger towns and rarely in the wilderness.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Johnny99 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 06:30 Yes I meant the first thing you said, unsmooth visuals despite a smooth framerate, especially in larger towns and rarely in the wilderness.
It's unlikely that any particular option will be able to fix it, since it's a result of the actual device rendering time not being synced to the system clock used for timing. Certain things may make the issue worse or more apparent, but there's no guaranteed way to handle it because hardware renders asynchronously to the game threads, and rendering APIs lack a way to get the real frame timing.
Johnny99

Post by Johnny99 »

If I press F3, there's always a drop in the white/gray line when the FPS drop occurs - about 2mm deep and 1cm wide. For some reason it's impossible to take a screenshot of the graph.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

What's your operating system/hardware?
Johnny99

Post by Johnny99 »

Greendogo wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 11:13 What's your operating system/hardware?
Sorry for not posting this earlier. Ryzen 3 1300X, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit. Running the game off an SSD.