Multiple Installation Problem

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Angmor

Multiple Installation Problem

Post by Angmor »

Greetings, all! First off, I want to express my huge gratitude and admiration for this project. I remain blown away by the time and effort people are still putting into this masterpiece of a game. You guys rock!

As you can see I'm new to the forums. Having played and messed around with modding Morrowind for many years now, I've decided no would be a good time to start familiarizing myself with OpenMW's capabilities. And... already, I've run into a problem.

I already have Morrowind installed, modded to the gills. So I decided I would start fresh, and created a second installation on a different hard drive (then I ran it to make sure it worked. No issue there). Vanilla GOTY only. I downloaded and installed OpenMW 0.44.0 from this site, extracted it, ran the wizard, and directed it to this second installation.

Then I ran the OpenMW launcher, and the plugins list had all of the plugins from my first, modded installation, including duplicates of the vanilla .esm files. After launching the game, it became clear that it was also running all of the high-res texture and mesh replacers from the first installation, rather than using vanilla graphics.

I'm completely stumped by this. I don't yet know enough about how OpenMW works to know why this is happening, but it's a serious drag. Part of my desire to try this out comes from a recent desire to ditch the fancy mods and get back to basics. I'm really hoping someone out there has some advice.
AnyOldName3

Re: Multiple Installation Problem

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Find your openmw.cfg file (if you're on Windows it's under Documents/My Games/OpenMW) and you'll find that you have multiple data= lines. One will point to your vanilla installation, and another will point to your modded one. Get rid of the one you don't want to be used.

You can also use this feature to install mods cleanly into separate directories, similarly to how Mod Organizer works.
Angmor

Re: Multiple Installation Problem

Post by Angmor »

Ah, that did the trick! That's a very neat feature too. Thanks for that, and for the quick response!