[solved] Anyone know how to disable these black textures?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
mnoblemusic

[solved] Anyone know how to disable these black textures?

Post by mnoblemusic »

Original Post:
Spoiler: Show
Hey guys! Been playing OpenMW for a while, because this is probably one of the best things on the internet obviously haha.

So, I updated to the new version 44, and I guess I forgot to save some of my settings. When you look up, in any environment, these black textures show up on surfaces. I had this disabled on the previous version, but I completely forgot how I did it... I'm just curious if anyone here knows how to turn this off?
I don't remember what file I used, or if it was a shader or shadow setting, but I had this turned off somehow. (P.s. I'm on Mac, if that matters at all)

Thanks guys!
settings.cfg
[/spoiler]

If you're experiencing this same problem, find "settings-default.cfg". Open it up, search for "clamp lighting = true" and change the value to "false". That fixes it, in case anyone runs into this same thing!

Thanks to everyone who responded, appreciate you guys.
Last edited by mnoblemusic on 19 Aug 2018, 06:55, edited 2 times in total.
AnyOldName3

Re: Anyone know how to disable these black textures?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's definitely not supposed to happen, and I'm not aware of any setting that would cause that kind of issue. I suspect it's actually a bug.
Equinox

Post by Equinox »

mnoblemusic wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 21:30 Hey guys! Been playing OpenMW for a while, because this is probably one of the best things on the internet obviously haha.

So, I updated to the new version 44, and I guess I forgot to save some of my settings. When you look up, in any environment, these black textures show up on surfaces. I had this disabled on the previous version, but I completely forgot how I did it... I'm just curious if anyone here knows how to turn this off?
I don't remember what file I used, or if it was a shader or shadow setting, but I had this turned off somehow. (P.s. I'm on Mac, if that matters at all)

Thanks guys!
If you installed a new openmw version, i dont think your settings in would be overwritten. New version will still use the old settings found in your game folder, in ocmputer->documents.

Try disabling shader in your settings.cfg.

EDIT: sorry, didnt notice you said youre on MAC
mnoblemusic

Post by mnoblemusic »

Definitely a bug for sure, but there's a setting somewhere that disables it, because I did it on the last build. I should have made a note of which one haha.
mnoblemusic

Post by mnoblemusic »

Equinox wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 00:27
mnoblemusic wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 21:30 Hey guys! Been playing OpenMW for a while, because this is probably one of the best things on the internet obviously haha.

Thanks guys!
If you installed a new openmw version, i dont think your settings in would be overwritten. New version will still use the old settings found in your game folder, in ocmputer->documents.

Try disabling shader in your settings.cfg.

EDIT: sorry, didnt notice you said youre on MAC
Thanks! That makes sense, didn't really think about that. I've disabled every shader I can think of, it's still there. Unless I'm missing one. I'll upload my settings here in a sec.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Where's the first post gone? At least at my end, it's showing my reply as the original post.
mnoblemusic

Post by mnoblemusic »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 01:07 Where's the first post gone? At least at my end, it's showing my reply as the original post.
I'm not sure, I edited it with my settings and the post disappeared :shock: Here it is again though just in case
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: [solved] Anyone know how to disable these black textures?

Post by psi29a »

The first post was 'flagged' for approval, until it is approved, it won't show. Anyone that is a mod should be able to approve it.
Calibration

Re: [solved] Anyone know how to disable these black textures?

Post by Calibration »

Excuse my confusion. This seems to be the same issue I had here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4019

and is still with me (currently on 0.44.0). Look up a bit and the ground goes black.

First post in this thread seems to have been edited to suggest that if you change "clamp lighting = true" to "clamp lighting = false" it will fix it and the problem is solved. Earlier dated posts from the Devs suggest it is a bug.

I have put "clamp lighting = false" along with "force shaders = true" into settings.cfg (I assume this is correct) and it makes no difference at all as per the suggestion it is some sort of Mac bug.

No biggie. Doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the game.