found a huge issue in the new release (0.44.0 release)

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
rstevenson1976

found a huge issue in the new release (0.44.0 release)

Post by rstevenson1976 »

now in-game rain is cancer for ram, I've experienced this in balmora and suran, both places were raining, both times like a fast moving cancer, it ate my ram so quickly and so completely, there wasn't even any left to Ctrl+Alt+F1 to kill it in htop. ultimate result is death of the computer, had to hard reboot to recover each time.

oh, and it's possible to sleep in the streets of balmora.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4x 3.8GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 960
RAM: 2246MiB / 7924MiB
Last edited by rstevenson1976 on 27 Jul 2018, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderforge

Re: found a huge issue in the new release

Post by Thunderforge »

Just to rule it out: did you have any mods loaded when you experienced this? If so, does the same thing still happen with only the core game?
raevol

Re: found a huge issue in the new release (0.44.0 release)

Post by raevol »

I can't confirm either of these issues with the daily PPA.
rstevenson1976

Post by rstevenson1976 »

exact same loadout as yesterday, pre 0.44.0 with no issue, but I'll try reloading the last save with all the mods off

with absolutely clean loadout, just morrowind, tribunal, bloodmoon esms:
couldn't sleep in the streets of balmora again, but I couldn't with the mods the other day either. couldn't test the rain thing, I travelled all over the silt strider network and waited several in-game days, no rain
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

You can use ChangeWeather console command to start rain.
Also there is RAM issue with Distant Land: https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/4530
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

The second link appears to be broken.

I don't see any problem with rain on current master in my current playthrough - though the current weather is actually "5" (Thunder) rather than "4" (Rain).

The suggested "ChangeWeather" command appears to be broken. See earlier discussion at viewtopic.php?t=1511 - although Scrawl indicates it was fixed, it appears to have reverted.

There appears to be a problem with "resting in cities" - although the messagebox indicates that resting is illegal, the player can go ahead and rest anyway, with no apparent penalty. Tested in Balmora and Vivec, in master. This appears to be the situation at least as far back as 0.42.

I don't currently have a working Windows installation, so I can't compare with MW behaviour.

Pressing "F3" (repeatedly) captures various graphics-related statistics, which might help diagnose the rain problem if it occurs again.

Loriel
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

it appears to have reverted.
It works just fine for me on master. Make sure the region you're currently in corresponds to the argument you've set when calling the command.
although the messagebox indicates that resting is illegal, the player can go ahead and rest anyway, with no apparent penalty.
Are you sure the player is resting and not waiting? These are different things.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Capostrophic wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 11:25
it appears to have reverted.
It works just fine for me on master. Make sure the region you're currently in corresponds to the argument you've set when calling the command.
On re-testing it now works for me. Possibly a mod-clash earlier, though I wasn't using any that I expected to clash. Possibly a typo in the region name, as there appears to be no validity checking -

Code: Select all

Changeweather, "Nowhere",4
is accepted, but does nothing

I will investigate further.

This created the "Rain" weather condition, with no noticeable effect on FPS.
although the messagebox indicates that resting is illegal, the player can go ahead and rest anyway, with no apparent penalty.
Are you sure the player is resting and not waiting? These are different things.
I used the default "T" to rest, it generated the "Resting is illegal here", but allowed me to rest anyway.

Loriel
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

I used the default "T" to rest, it generated the "Resting is illegal here", but allowed me to rest anyway.
Again, make sure you're resting and not waiting. T is used for both things and waiting is not the same as resting. During waiting you are not able to regenerate health and magicka and get random creature/assassin attacks.