Best font compatible with OpenMW?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
glorsh66

Best font compatible with OpenMW?

Post by glorsh66 »

I really love this project!
I couldn't play the original version of Morrowind even back then in 2003 because of its constant stuttering and overall bad game engine.

With openMW everything plays so much smoother (and I use distant lands option which is available in nightly builds).

I have heard (read☻) that there is an option to change default font? I have read some guides and theoretically know how to do it - but I am too lazy to try a lot of fonts.
Can someone recommend the best font (and settings for it) especially for reading the text in dialogues with NPCs. (My eyes just bleeding after just half an hour, and I already use "better vanilla font" mod and UI scale set to 1.5 or 1.6)?

I am using 24-inch screen with 1080p.
akortunov

Re: Best font compatible with OpenMW?

Post by akortunov »

Unfortunately, there is no option to make font look good with UI scaling option due to scaling implementation in OpenMW, even if you use TTF fonts, such as Pelagiad.
Fonts look well only with "scaling factor = 1.0"

There is a pull request to workaround this issue, but it requires some hacks in MyGUI library.
glorsh66

Post by glorsh66 »

But if set UI scale to 1.0 and just rise the font size option? WIll it fix the problem?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Fonts look well only with "scaling factor = 1.0"
And even then, since books and the journal are scaled separately, their text looks blurry when TTF fonts are used.
jairodrake

Post by jairodrake »

I assume that it may be more appropriate to say that its not regular modding where one puts textures, meshes, esps (scripts), … etc into Data Files.

This font modding is closer to editing config files or installing things like the script extender, in the sense that that the actual executable is modified.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Uh... no, not really, not really at all. No executable is modified. Comparing editing config files and installing MWSE is... odd.
Installing TTF fonts is almost exactly like installing content file mods, it's just that you modify OpenMW's own resources, not Morrowind's. And when you install BMP fonts intended for Morrowind, it's exactly like installing normal mods.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

akortunov wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 17:19 There is a pull request to workaround this issue, but it requires some hacks in MyGUI library.
This PR is complete now and does not require hacks in 3d-party libraries.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Hooray! Thanks akortunov! I still find it ridiculous that MyGUI doesn’t support something this basic, but glad we could sort it out.