Recent Negativity Regarding OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
CMAugust

Re: Recent Negativity Regarding OpenMW

Post by CMAugust » 02 Aug 2018, 15:24

From my observation, outreach and interaction from those actually associated with the OpenMW team have been very good, and getting better all the time.

Much of the negative commentary towards the project I've seen is from those who either don't know, or don't respect, the fact that OpenMW is about more than just enabling cooler mods. It's one of the major benefits of course, but if that was the only objective it probably wouldn't even exist. There were additional goals the developers wanted to achieve, and now it looks like all of them will be fulfilled.

I'm impressed by what's been going on with vanilla modding in recent years, and the speedy unraveling of original code - but I also have huge respect for the OpenMW project, and the principles that allowed it to get this far. The existence of a near-complete open source engine written entirely by volunteers is incredible. Even the vocal detractors seem to agree it will be the best way to play Morrowind - eventually. For those who can't wait, the vanilla game will always be there in the meantime, and continue to be hacked with new modding opportunities. Both projects are in a good place with no sign of slowing down, so the overall picture is one of optimism.

hodgicus

Re: Recent Negativity Regarding OpenMW

Post by hodgicus » 02 Sep 2018, 14:34

Although this is my first entry on the forum, I have been following several of you for a while.
I totally get that modders from other forks in the MW tree are wary of the OpenMW project, and worried, too, that as it matures much of their work may obsolesce. It will. The "Recent Negativity Regarding OpenMW" is directly related to the power and promise of this project, and emanates from an understanding of its implications for the piecemeal improvements it will be leaving behind. OpenMW is a whole new conception of the MW future, an order of magnitude quantum shift, and that is why many of us (just plain players like me) are here.
I've been playing MW since 2003, and I was still playing the box version when I discovered OpenMW in 2015. I know there are amazing mods out there, big improvements in the way the old assets were implemented, drawn, lit, and so on. I also know they behave unpredictably and seldom play nice together in groups. If all that got fixed, I still would not be interested in candy upgrades. I want to see MW transported into the future on a new game engine, and that's why I support OpenMW.
I will walk an open-ended TES3 in which Vardenfell is a tiny isolated island among giant continents to be explored. I will be born into new games built on this engine that are unguessably cooler than anything that can yet be done.
When OpenMW and OpenMW-CS are at 1.0 (plain, vanilla, un-gussied up 1.0), the platform thus achieved will accelerate at a rate that looks like a disappearing act to modders who aren't prepared to cut their losses and switch. I sympathize, I do. But this is going to happen, and if you have distance viewing set to true, you know that event horizon is approaching inexorably.
Certainly OpenMW's devs will make the accommodations they feel necessary for their friends and neighbors in other MW projects, but I hope they will not go much beyond warm regards and welcomes. Because this project is a 1000 times more important is why. All those people working for Polaroid and Kodak had to move on, too.