Measuring Frame-Time in OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
CMAugust

Measuring Frame-Time in OpenMW

Post by CMAugust »

Some gaming enthusiast channels like Digital Foundry make use of a frame-timer to measure a game's performance. Here is an example from their Morrowind Xbox One X analysis earlier this year:
Spoiler: Show
Something like this would be very useful to have in-engine for OpenMW, alongside the existing (excellent) profiler. Barring that, I'm curious if anybody in the community uses a tool that reports frame time while playing OpenMW, and if they had any trouble setting it up. Sometimes, even with vsync enabled and processing capacity to spare, it feels as if my OpenMW experience isn't as buttery smooth as it ought to be. It would be nice to know for sure. Furthermore, such a tool could help to identify areas of micro stuttering (if any) that could possibly be ironed out with asset optimization mods or subsequent engine releases, and result in an even better Morrowind experience.
tomangelo

Re: Measuring Frame-Time in OpenMW

Post by tomangelo »

There are already external tools like MSI Afterburner, allowing to display overlay with FPS, frametime, CPU usage, GPU usage, temperatures, and so on. Existing profiler already displays many useful informations that aren't accessible for other tools. I think that unless devs aren't looking for reinventing wheel for independency of external tools, it's not necessary to add this now, if it won't cover something that aren't already covered by existing tools.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

I had a feeling external tools may be adequate, which is why I placed this topic in general discussion instead of feature requests. It looks like MSI Afterburner has been mentioned once or twice in the forum history, but not about its frametime functionality. I'll download it and see how the graph looks in OpenMW.
Lagahan

Post by Lagahan »

CMAugust wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 00:29 I had a feeling external tools may be adequate, which is why I placed this topic in general discussion instead of feature requests. It looks like MSI Afterburner has been mentioned once or twice in the forum history, but not about its frametime functionality. I'll download it and see how the graph looks in OpenMW.
I have an issue where the OSD will only render in a small box on the bottom left of OpenMW's viewport, like its detecting the size of the window incorrectly or something. Its most noticeable when you have a large amount of sensors enabled on the OSD (where it would take up the entire left side of the screen normally). Are you having any issues with that?

Other than that, Afterburners frametime graph works great in OpenMW.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

It's the same for me also. I turned up the on-screen display zoom in Rivatuner to compensate, but don't know of a proper solution. Still, at least it works; I can't get the OSD to show up in Skyrim Special Edition at all.