Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
vk1970

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by vk1970 »

psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 23:11 At its core, Fallout is an RPG, not a true FPS and they admit that too.

I honestly don't see the problem here. It's just work and the time/will to see it done.
FO4 is closer to a Far Cry game with leveling than it is to an RPG, but that's an issue for another debate...

Well, if you honestly think there is no problem, ok. So the OpenMW team really wants to make OpenMW support SciFi AND Fantasy? If so, well shit... I suppose I ought to look into how gun mechanics are generally handled in C++ in other games because I'm more familiar with TES scripting and 2d graphics and GUI stuff like ImageMagick and .NET to be completely honest.
Rovlad

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by Rovlad »

psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 11:37Substantial re-write? You do know that OpenMW post-1.0 includes the de-hardcoding right?
That's still ways off, if ever. I've seen people loading F3 assets into OpenMW though right on this forum so it's definitely possible. :)
Substantial rewrite would still be needed though. It's not like I'm bashing the project, just stating the obvious I guess.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

SciFi and Fantasy are vague and nebulous things... that is something up to a modder and/or game developer. We (OpenMW) just provide the tools.

They want a Western RPG, why the hell not? Who are we to tell them otherwise? OpenMW is an open-source open-world RPG engine. You want to do something Cyberpunk/Shadowrun, just do it.

At some point we'll have to deal with mounting horses (Oblivion) and that is yet another 'system' mechanic to be implemented. What's to stop you from making that horse a chopper/motorcycle? That doesn't make OpenMW a racing game though. Just like having guns doesn't make OpenMW a FPS.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What's to stop you from making that horse a chopper/motorcycle?
Or a hat into a train!

We'll not do things like idiots, so you'll never consider that it might be easiest to make trains by repurposing the code controlling hats. I imagine that vehicles will be a specific subclass of actor or that we'll add them as a first-class system.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

Rovlad wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 00:25
psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 11:37Substantial re-write? You do know that OpenMW post-1.0 includes the de-hardcoding right?
That's still ways off, if ever. I've seen people loading F3 assets into OpenMW though right on this forum so it's definitely possible. :)
Substantial rewrite would still be needed though. It's not like I'm bashing the project, just stating the obvious I guess.
In regards to SciFi, I'm more inclined towards Gamma World and other things far stranger than Fallout these days.
Rovlad

Post by Rovlad »

Yeah I've seen people making modern day or futuristic stuff for Morrowind, even before OpenMW was a thing.
They never gained much traction but OpenMW definitely already makes it much more possible.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

HoL! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hol_(role-playing_game)
Although HoL is playable, it was meant as a satire of RPGs. The pages of the books are written by hand, and the authors freely take stabs at other popular role-playing games, particularly Vampire: The Masquerade and Dungeons & Dragons, and those who play them.

HoL is a science fiction game set in the very distant future where mankind has colonized the entire galaxy. Characters in the game have been either trapped or imprisoned on the planet HoL (The Human Occupied Landfill), which is located outside the galaxy as far away as possible from everyone else. HoL is a penal colony for the scum of the galaxy as seen in the eyes of the C.O.W. (Confederation of Worlds), which is the ruling government body of the human territories.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

OpenMW would probably work just fine for the romance genre :D

Could probably do a horror game too. Or a pirate swashbuckling game so long as controlling ships is not your main focus and flintlocks are rare or nonexistent.

Actually, a swashbuckling Robin Hood game would be kind of cool, especially if you use one of those revamped combat systems people have been trying out.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

Actually, something more like d20 Apocalypse is more up my alley:

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11480.phtml