Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
vk1970

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by vk1970 »

psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 07:49 fork in what sense, I see no problem with OpenMW in the long-term, supporting additional games. The 'great hard-decoding' should help move us into that direction, making sure that anything Morrowind specific is abstracted out.

In a short-term, someone could fork OpenMW like TES3MP did to work on that and then have it merged back into OpenMW itself.
In a word... GUNS! Those would be an essential feature for 19th, 20th, 21st century role-play and beyond. As it has been pointed out, in its current state, guns are just a non starter. I'd like to know how gun play would be supported via scripting, if that's even possible, which I doubt. I imagine weird mutations ala Gamma World might be doable via scripting but that's another conversation for another time.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by psi29a »

Sorry... but I fail to see the difference between a fireball or arrow/bolt and a bullet aside from speed. Could you elaborate what is missing from our projectile system?
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 18:41 Sorry... but I fail to see the difference between a fireball or arrow/bolt and a bullet aside from speed. Could you elaborate what is missing from our projectile system?
It's less an issue of projectiles than it is with guns in general...

Guns behave very differently from crossbows, bows, and magic in general. Thunderforge pointed this out very early on in the thread. Guns require ammunition and sighting and have recoil. And you can only load so many rounds in a gun at a time, plus different types of firearms have wildly varying levels of accuracy quite apart from the skill of the user. Have you ever even handled a firearm? If you had, you'd know that gun play is VERY different from the mechanics provided in OpenMW. AI for gunplay would also be quite different.

So how could this be handled with scripting, if at all?
Last edited by vk1970 on 16 Jun 2018, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

vk1970 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 18:56 Guns require ammunition and sighting and have recoil.
Also do not forget about rate of fire, shell extraction, buckshot ammo and other things, which shooters usually use.
OpenMW is not an engine for first-person shooters by design.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

akortunov wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 19:27
vk1970 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 18:56 Guns require ammunition and sighting and have recoil.
Also do not forget about rate of fire, shell extraction, buckshot ammo and other things, which shooters usually use.
OpenMW is not an engine for first-person shooters by design.
Indeed, that's kind of the point, however, the question is, do these things really have to be added in a fork, and if so, how? I personally don't expect the OpemMW team to add the hooks for guns pre 1.0, but I would like to know how this could be added via scripting post 1.0. A fork might be needed for gunplay because I don't see how it could support it otherwise. Then if they like the additions, obviously they could be added in OpenMW.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

You do realise that TES and Fallout 3/4 share the same engine right?

What I am getting at is that FO is not a true FPS either, but that is needed to what we are aiming at. Adding these things like kickback/recoil are just additional game mechanics. Works with magic too... A fireball with kickback ;)
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

So aside from SciFi, which seems problematic, it seems that Bronze and Iron Age role-playing would be trivial for OpenMW, however the AI and combat mechanics would need major improvements to keep it from being tedious. Combat can certainly be scripted, in fact for different enemy types it would have to be. But AI might be a problem there, as it is impacted by the physics engine itself.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 19:47 You do realise that TES and Fallout 3/4 share the same engine right?

What I am getting at is that FO is not a true FPS either, but that is needed to what we are aiming at. Adding these things like kickback/recoil are just additional game mechanics. Works with magic too... A fireball with kickback ;)
FO4 is much closer to an FPS than FO3, and yes I know that BGS is married to Gamebryo. So what you're saying that you do want FO mechanics included? OK. What we were saying is that gunplay is much more than projectiles. It also involves the mechanics of the guns themselves far beyond recoil... as in the AI required to use them like something other than a WWI style bayonet charge which is probably about all the AI could manage unless it's overhauled significantly, which is what happened in FO4, but NOT in FO3.
Starsheep

Post by Starsheep »

psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 19:47 You do realise that TES and Fallout 3/4 share the same engine right?

In this video, People from Bethesda admitted they had to design something really new, from the ground up for the gun combat system during the development of Fallout 3. They'd never done it before and had to "compete" on that level with the other fps games studios at the time. Having to figure out the implementation of VATS on top of it didn't help lol.

Noclip : The History of Bethesda Games Studio from 39:00min onward
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I know, I saw that video last week. :)

At its core, Fallout is an RPG, not a true FPS and they admit that too.

I honestly don't see the problem here. It's just work and the time/will to see it done.