Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
vk1970

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by vk1970 »

lysol wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 23:34 Skyrim is as much viking age as my ass.

I guess it is still kind of the same genre as Morrowind anyway. But whatever.
Actually what you described is more low fantasy than high fantasy, which is what Morrowind actually is. If there weren't a need and demand for low fantasy we wouldn't have Game of Thrones... plus, how often do you really see magic in LOTR? So making magic a viable but not all encompassing game play mechanic, and emphasizing realistic conflict, is in my opinion, not done often enough. Even if you stripped the magic out of Morrowind, there's more than enough to make it interesting, but the high fantasy elements are what put it over the top into classic high fantasy. However, it's the realistic faction conflicts in Fallout NV that make it irresistible, and that is absolutely doable in OpenMW as it is, although we could improve on it.

And indeed, Fallout 3 and 4 are about as Post Apocalyptic (Gamma World or Fallout) as my left toe. They both seem like they take place a decade immediately after, not after the considerable rebuilding that actual people would do as soon as they reasonable could, which is what we had in FO 1, 2, NV, and Gamma World.

Hence my interest in what I'd like to call "OpenGW" and declare openly a need to also use OpenMW 1.0 to blend a skill and xp based level progression system, where you are rewarded for both solving larger problems (completing missions) and honing/training your skills (Morrowind as it is.) I'd say that's entirely relevant to both the fascinating pagan period role playing you described, lysol, and Greco-Roman roleplay as suggested earlier in this thread.

Also, I'm betting some people reading this might be familiar with the film "Zardoz" and if ever a movie screamed for an RPG based on its setting, that certainly did. If ever a setting called for a protagonist to highlight static vs dynamic culture in the way Morrowind did, it does, and would support the kind of gameplay I'm looking for in OpenGW, or hell, maybe even OpenMW with magic throttled back and better support for guns.
Last edited by vk1970 on 15 Jun 2018, 23:54, edited 3 times in total.
HeadClot

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by HeadClot »

I would love to see something in the realm of vampire the masquerade blood lines or a Modern Game of Throne knock off.

TLDR something modern with a hint of the super natural or a modern fantasy epic.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

HeadClot wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 21:25 I would love to see something in the realm of vampire the masquerade blood lines or a Modern Game of Throne knock off.

TLDR something modern with a hint of the super natural or a modern fantasy epic.
For that, and I wholeheartedly endorse it, we need real gun support. Again, I think we need a post 1.0 fork... which again, I would dub OpenGW, which would support gun play, additional xp based level progression, a few more crafting options, and somewhat more sophisticated faction mechanics. As we can see, BGS post Skyrim/FO4, is draining all the role-playing out of their games, so why not pick up the slack? Honestly, we need a fork off OpenMW because I wouldn't ask the OpenMW team for this stuff, unless they also want to see the engine support more genres themselves.

Now... off to reinstall VTMB... oh wait... I already have it installed! ;)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Post-1.0, stuff like experience, skills and levelling should all be de-hardcoded, meaning that instead of being C++ code within the engine, they're handled at runtime by a script. We'll of course supply a version of the script that makes things work just like vanilla Morrowind, but you should be able to achieve everything you want to within OpenMW without forking it just by changing some scripts.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 00:49 Post-1.0, stuff like experience, skills and levelling should all be de-hardcoded, meaning that instead of being C++ code within the engine, they're handled at runtime by a script. We'll of course supply a version of the script that makes things work just like vanilla Morrowind, but you should be able to achieve everything you want to within OpenMW without forking it just by changing some scripts.
That will do nicely for quite a lot of fantasy stuff without guns or non-humanoid player characters, thank you, and I appreciate it. Guns and non-humanoid player characters, OTOH, are going to take some extra work. How would one go about implementing guns and non humanoid player races though scripting?
Last edited by vk1970 on 16 Jun 2018, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
wareya

Post by wareya »

Also it's always extremely normal for total conversions to make engine-level changes because that's how game development works.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

wareya wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 01:26 Also it's always extremely normal for total conversions to make engine-level changes because that's how game development works.
That's kind of what I was driving at: OpenGW as a fork, as in OpenMW forked for support of SciFi stuff, unless the new scripting engine truly makes this unnecessary.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

fork in what sense, I see no problem with OpenMW in the long-term, supporting additional games. The 'great hard-decoding' should help move us into that direction, making sure that anything Morrowind specific is abstracted out.

In a short-term, someone could fork OpenMW like TES3MP did to work on that and then have it merged back into OpenMW itself.
Rovlad

Post by Rovlad »

Without a substantial rewriting of the engine you can't have anything except history or fantasy (which is basically spruced up history).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Arthur C. Clark wrote:Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
So we're there! ;)

Substantial re-write? You do know that OpenMW post-1.0 includes the de-hardcoding right? It not a question of if but when.