Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
vk1970

Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by vk1970 »

Since OpenMW is a completely new engine, but based on an engine for a fantasy RPG, I'm curious to hear people's opinions on what other genre's would play well on OpenMW, especially after the dehardcoding process after version 1.0 has begun. I'm especially interested in people's thoughts on how it can be adapted to Gamma World/Fallout type RPG's.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by psi29a »

New is a relative term... it's been around since 2007.

OpenMW is an open-source open-world RPG-based engine. It can work well with any RPG setting be it Elder Scrolls or Fallout3/NV/4.
Thunderforge

Re: Survey: What genres of total conversions do you think would work well on OpenMW besides fantasy?

Post by Thunderforge »

In its current form, I don’t think it is really suited for settings where firearms are primarily used. Fallout 3 added a number of features to the Oblivion engine that improved gun combat. Things like weapon clips, reloading, rapid fire, and of course VATS. I think OpenMW would need to add stuff like that to be viable in those genres.

Aside from fantasy, OpenMW would probably work well in a number of historical eras like classical Greece or Rome.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Thunderforge wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 06:44 Aside from fantasy, OpenMW would probably work well in a number of historical eras like classical Greece or Rome.
This, I was impressed when I visited https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanten

I thought, wow, this could make the basis of a cool Roman-era game set in Germany, right at the edge of the Roman empire.

silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Thunderforge wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 06:44 In its current form, I don’t think it is really suited for settings where firearms are primarily used. Fallout 3 added a number of features to the Oblivion engine that improved gun combat. Things like weapon clips, reloading, rapid fire, and of course VATS. I think OpenMW would need to add stuff like that to be viable in those genres.
Can't speak about all of those, but if you haven't used the construction set to create a crossbow in vanilla with a ridiculously high speed then I recommend you do so --> FULLY AUTOMATIC crossbow.

ST
PS I don't know if anyone has tried this in openmw - I probably should try this and see if it acts accordingly
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Admittedly, I haven't tried making a fully automatic crossbow in the vanilla CS. Still, to my knowledge you can't do things like having 6 shots in your gun, then require a reload (and also allow a reload at any time), without a whole lot of custom scripts. I think that the engine would need to have a standardized way of handling things before it's really suited for settings where firearms are common.
psi29a wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 07:40
Thunderforge wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 06:44 Aside from fantasy, OpenMW would probably work well in a number of historical eras like classical Greece or Rome.
This, I was impressed when I visited https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanten

I thought, wow, this could make the basis of a cool Roman-era game set in Germany, right at the edge of the Roman empire.
That is pretty impressive! I personally love the Roman era and would love an RPG set in there.
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Post by testman »

Sci-Fi immersive sim could be implemented. Morrowind and Deus Ex have very very similar mechanics, so I don't see why OpenMW couldn't be used to create some totally-not-Deus-Ex-or-System-Shock game.
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

Based on what I've seen here so far, evidently what we need is a post 1.0 fork for GW/FO gameplay... OpenGW, perhaps? :D

So we'd need some additional support for scripting hooks in regards to gunplay, locational damage, and better animation/modeling support for mutant/mutations, yes? And the magic and alchemy systems could be easily be re-purposed for psionics and ancient tech, I suppose.

Otherwise for period style role playing in Ancient Greece/Gaul/Rome/etc we already seem to have what we need in OpenMW. Implementing DnD style roleplay might also be easy as it is, if an experience system was also added.

For SciFi, what I'm driving at is a system that facilitates gameplay with guns, radiation, more advanced faction gameplay, and playing as complex mutant(and having it recognized as such in the game.)

Anybody care to expand/expound on this?
lysol

Post by lysol »

I'm from Sweden and have a thing for runes and the rune stones found around here. For a while now, I've been thinking of one day making an RPG in OpenMW set in the late viking age Sweden, kinda, but with small fantasy (like magic, etc) elements. Runes could be used a bit like daedric scripts are used in Morrowind. I've already made a few rune fonts.

Then you think "But Skyrim is kind of like that already!". No. No it's not. Skyrim is as much viking age as my ass.

I guess it is still kind of the same genre as Morrowind anyway. But whatever.