Animation system

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
zgabuterimon

Animation system

Post by zgabuterimon »

Hello!

I am modder I have done some stuff in Fallout 4 in my spare time (Mostly guns :D ) ,I am experienced in modeling, animation, texturing and college degree in sound design. I saw that you implemented here normal maps,spec, etc. And you had me hooked! I always wanted to improve on the base Morrowind game, but no matter what mod I installed, it just wasn't quite right. I am planning to change that. Models, and textures, I can basically redo them straight away, without any problems, but I can't find any info on animations. Will it use the same system as Morrowind? Can I create custom skeletons, make custom animations, custom behaviors? That is probably gonna be true in 1.0 version, but still I can't find much information about it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Animation system

Post by psi29a »

May I point you into the direction of Destined2die... he might have use for you. ;)

The current animation system is pretty much key-frame based using NIF. Destined put time into creating animations from scratch for use in the OpenMW-Template and OpenMW-ExampleSuite, but if you would like to expand on his work or start over from scratch (learning curve), please feel free. We could always do with better bodies (no pun intended). ;)

Anything CC0, CC-BY, CC-BY-SA would be great.

There is 'talk' of extending the OSG file format to support animation, but no development has been done here in the engine. It remains a bit of a pain point for us.
AnyOldName3

Re: Animation system

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Something will happen at some point to make animations some combination of simpler, more powerful and more flexible. We have no real idea of any details yet, though, as it's a big thing to discuss and design. When Zini releases his draft of the post-1.0 masterplan document, it will probably be a good time to discuss it, especially if you're an experienced animator who can help the devs compare different approaches.