OpenMW leveled list fixer - v1.0 released!

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
jmelesky

OpenMW leveled list fixer - v1.0 released!

Post by jmelesky »

Hello! The OpenMW leveled list fixer (omwllf) has received a few updates and has been released as v1.0.

See the release notes here.

It has the same "just run it and things will work" capabilities as before, but now has the added ability to use config files and module directories other than the default.

In addition, the automatic bits will now handle non-standard locations for 'My Documents' folders in windows.

Please give it a shot. And, as always, please contact me (either here, or at the github project) if you have any problems or requests.

Thanks!
l1lartur0

Re: OpenMW leveled list fixer - v1.0 released!

Post by l1lartur0 »

Ta for the heads up. Look forward to giving this version a go!
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

Shouldn't the engine just handle this itself?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Post 1.0, when we extend the ESP format, we'll probably add additional record types which let plugins add to levelled lists, but the record type for levelled lists in the base format is designed to replace the whole levelled list. If we decide to start interpreting it differently then things will start breaking.
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

I'm not sure if it should be handled by the engine, but I think lots of people would like it if it were handled by the launcher.

Currently, though, it isn't. And the older tools all assume that your plugins are in the same directory (which you can simulate with links and such, but it's a pain). So omwllf is there to fill in the gaps -- it's OpenMW-native, reads your config file and handles things almost automatically.

I would love it if omwllf became unnecessary because the launcher added that functionality. Until then, though, here it is!
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

jmelesky wrote: 23 May 2018, 17:58 I'm not sure if it should be handled by the engine, but I think lots of people would like it if it were handled by the launcher.

Currently, though, it isn't. And the older tools all assume that your plugins are in the same directory (which you can simulate with links and such, but it's a pain). So omwllf is there to fill in the gaps -- it's OpenMW-native, reads your config file and handles things almost automatically.

I would love it if omwllf became unnecessary because the launcher added that functionality. Until then, though, here it is!
Is the source code available? Maybe you could look into getting it merged into the OpenMW Git repository at least.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

It's python, OpenMW is C++... so just a bit more work than expected.
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

Sslaxx wrote: 23 May 2018, 19:31 Is the source code available? Maybe you could look into getting it merged into the OpenMW Git repository at least.
Yep, source is available, and under a very liberal license.

As psi29a pointed out, though, it would be a porting process rather than a simple merge.

That said, I imagine if someone took my code, joshcamas' code, and integrated some launch functionality, we might be able to make a new launcher in python and offer that as a replacement for the C++ launcher (it's not like speed is terribly important for the launcher, really).

If someone wanted to take that on, of course. And I'd recommend talking to the actual dev team before moving forward with it.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

Does OpenMW have API for leveled lists? If so, then it might could be easier and cleaner to rewrite this in C++, rather than port the launcher to Python.
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

heilkitty wrote: 24 May 2018, 11:06 Does OpenMW have API for leveled lists? If so, then it might could be easier and cleaner to rewrite this in C++, rather than port the launcher to Python.
I don't know the answer to that question, but I think "easier" == "what's more likely to get the job done", and there hasn't been much movement from the C++ devs to do this (not a criticism, just an observation).

As for "cleaner", I suspect that's in the eye of the beholder.