Merge of PR 1674: a potential problem?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
lambda

Merge of PR 1674: a potential problem?

Post by lambda »

I am on arch linux, which is a rolling release. Since OSG got a new version, had to compile openmw all over again -- I am not using the stable package in the arch repos, but the openmw-git package that pulls the last version from the openmw repo; the last compilation I did was 2 or 3 weeks ago. On testing some mods, I found that some textures were not being replaced. At first I though there was some problem with my load order, but after commenting out some data paths and mods, I concluded that the problem could not be found there. Then I went to the list of PR's merged and noticed https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1674 and a little light bulb went on in my head. I have the habit of converting all tga textures in mods to dds because openmw cannot read some tga formats -- I think this has been fixed by now, but the habit remains, and more importantly, I never did this for the *original* morrowind Textures folder. So went ahead and did the conversion, and voila, everything was working fine. Or not. Because then I noticed that the icon replacers were also not kicking in. Now, I do *not* do a tga conversion because there was never any need, but I suspected the problem was the same, and so the solution should be the same, and sure enough, it was.

This of course raises a problem: when the next 0.44 stable version is out, texture and icon replacers will suddenly stop working. Now, if I diagnosed the problem correctly, that the source of the problem is in the merging of https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1674, then we have what I would consider a regression. The other option of course, is that I misdiagnosed the problem, but then could someone explain to me what I got wrong?
Capostrophic

Re: Merge of PR 1674: a potential problem?

Post by Capostrophic »

sigh See this discussion.

Edit: while I don't see any stable release coming soon, I guess I have to resolve #4402 sooner than later and implement the idea of extension-agnostic texture loading.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Capostrophic wrote: 13 May 2018, 14:52 See this discussion.
FYI, this issue is now marked as "Resolved" as of May 19th.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Yep, this is the pull request. Please do test it. Unfortunately it won't work with textures of a different extension in the same folder; drop your retextures to a new resource path, not Data Files.

Also unfortunately, if you're on Windows, you'll have to build my branch from the source using Visual Studio scripts and/or extensive Conjuration school spellcasting or use the build artifacts presented by AppVeyor CI but they don't have the necessary libraries supplied yet (you may be able to just back up your existing OpenMW installation and drop the binaries in a folder with existing installation, since they should be exactly the same in Ace's builds as those AppVeyor uses).

Edit: scrawl scrapped the implementation