S3TC Patents Have Expired. What Does This Mean For OpenMW Linux/ARM?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
wooty

S3TC Patents Have Expired. What Does This Mean For OpenMW Linux/ARM?

Post by wooty »

Hello, new to the forums but have lurked a bit. I noticed recently that the extended patent was never renewed as far as it's deadline on March 16th, 2018. I am by no means a developer but I have experience modifying kernels and troubleshooting skills I'm not sure if they could be put to good use cracking this one, if it even is an issue now. As far as my understanding this compression algorithm is patently closed-sourced which is why there hasn't been an open-source implementation of it yet (officially that is).

I am going to do more research, and I hope I'm not coming off as too ill informed, but I've messed with video drivers on these boards before and I wouldn't mind flaling my way throguh things if it could potentially help. If anyone has any ideas of where I should get started or how I can contribute in this area please let me know. And apologies if this has already been asked in some form. Thanks.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: S3TC Patents Have Expired. What Does This Mean For OpenMW Linux/ARM?

Post by psi29a »

No longer a problem, our fork of OSG-3.4 and upstream OSG-3.6 supports software decoding of S3TC.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5057&p=53264&hilit= ... RES#p53264