[Tool] Open Mod Manager

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
joshcamas

[Tool] Open Mod Manager

Post by joshcamas »

Hello friends!

I just started using OpenMW, and after learning that they allow for multiple data folders, I decided to make a little tool that utilizes this feature. Basically each "Mod" is it's own data folder, which allows for quick sorting and so on.

Note that I wrote this program in a day, so it's pretty clunky and more of a proof of concept than anything else. For example, the more mods you have installed the more offset the up/down buttons are. Oops. Also note it's in python, not an executable. I'm not sure how much time I can put in this, as I am very busy with other projects. Perhaps this will show off the power of OpenMW's mod system, and someone will make a better program. Either way, here it is!

Downloads: Screenshots:

Features:
  • Mods can be rearranged at any time (data files as well!)
  • Partial support for already installed mods (Order doesn't work currently)
  • Profiles allow for quick mod list switching
  • Automatic mod scanning
  • Multiple mod folders for scanning
Trello: https://trello.com/b/X0N3epek/openmodmanager

Please leave any thoughts below :)

Future thoughts:
Honestly writing this in python was a huge mistake, I'm thinking about porting it over to c++. This would make it much easier to build to an executable, as well as allow for easy esp reading using a library such as EsPlugin. Plus the interface wouldn't be so shit. <3
Josh
Okulo

Re: [Tool] Open Mod Manager

Post by Okulo »

Great idea, do port it over to C++! :P

I suggest using the Qt5 framework for your frontend interface. It's an amazing piece of software with the Qt Creator IDE that supports both manually writing your interface and using their own drag-and-drop system. In fact, I learned some C++ by making an application like that, so if you already have experience, I'm sure it's going to be a breeze for you.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

PyQt also exists and works quite well if you can convince it to build (although it's possible that they have binary releases and I've only never used them because Mod Organizer is incompatible with the binary releases). Porting the GUI to PyQt without changing the rest of the program might be a much faster way of making it look professional.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I tried that, was immediately lost. Besides, if you use the PyQt bindings, you don't get to use the dead easy designer in Qt Creator!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Wat?

Sure you can, QtCreator just makes ui files... let PyQT (or PySide) load those ui files up. I did that for my worldsynth project.
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

I'm the author of omwllf, which is also written in python. If you want to work on getting our code together, let me know, as I think there's some good ways for the two projects to interact (or merge into one project).

Currently, omwllf is a purely command-line python program, but I did a bunch of work on ESM/ESP parsing in order to get everything done. It's stable, but requiring a python install and running from the command line is not great for all users.

Anyhow, let me know if we can help eachother!
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

psi29a wrote: 14 May 2018, 14:36 Wat?

Sure you can, QtCreator just makes ui files... let PyQT (or PySide) load those ui files up. I did that for my worldsynth project.
Yeah but the integration is not as good. Besides, C++ isn't that difficult...
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Okulo wrote: 14 May 2018, 21:46
psi29a wrote: 14 May 2018, 14:36 Wat?

Yeah but the integration is not as good. Besides, C++ isn't that difficult...
Very true, C++11 (and beyond) is very Pythonic...
joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

Tonight I'll try "porting" the interface from fluid to imgui (A python port for Dear ImGui). Cause imo, the worst part about this tool is the interface, which is quite clunky.