Morrowind Utilities

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
dankoB

Morrowind Utilities

Post by dankoB »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the community and glad to be here. I've heard of the project for some time now but haven't really had a chance to dive in. Well...I finally have. Kudos to everyone for all their hard work. I'm a Mac user who loves to mod the Bethesda titles. I'm not sure why I love it so much but I guess it's just amazing to see everyones dedication come life on screen. I was really blown away with the first run of OpenMW totally modded to the suggested mods on the home page. AMAZING! (I also added a bunch that weren't there :D

As I said, I'm Mac user but not exclusively. I bounce back in forth to Windows but only to further compatibility on Mac. My hobby is software porting and I play around with Wine a lot. For those of you who are not aware and would like to know more about Wine...click it ---> WineHQ

I would like to know what the community's general consensus on modding Morrowind for use in OpenMW. I realize the project devs are working diligently to implement all the functions of the utilities and tools required but where do we as of right now? How far off is it?

The reason why I ask, I have created a package that handles all of the utilities required to manage mods in a very efficient way. Most of the work I have done with Morrowind has all been manual installs but I can confirm from from years of use (with Oblivion/Skyrim/F3/FNV) that the utilities do work. The utilities I have implemented into the package are as follows

Wrye Mash 2018 Polomos fork - This utility launches mlox and MGE XE from the menu bar. All functions work correctly and I have received no unfixable errors while getting it to run correctly.

The Elder Scrolls Mod Manager, which is the newest version of OBMM...this launches the Windows version of TES Construction Set as well, allows for manual changes to the load order (which are recognized by OpenMW) and can perform some minor changes to the plugins.

The other utilities I have implemented are the Morrowind BSA Registration utility, TES III Plugin Conflict Detector, TESTool, tes3cmd. There are about a half dozen other utilities that I can I can think of that have run on Mac but aren't really required for an immersive modding experience.

So what does everyone think? Yay or Neh? I'm looking for peoples opinion or interest on this subject because I have been using this package for a good month now and am pretty happy with the results. I thought it would be beneficial to the community so I decided to post here first instead of at The Porting Team

This package is for Mac only, however if someone on Linux knew enough about Wine I'd be happy to lay out the steps I took to get all of the dependencies set up to run everything correctly.
LoneWolf

Re: Morrowind Utilities

Post by LoneWolf »

This package is for Mac only, however if someone on Linux knew enough about Wine I'd be happy to lay out the steps I took to get all of the dependencies set up to run everything correctly.
Plenty of wine users on linux, personally i prefer to look for information in winehq ( I was super maintainer of some older games in the past, stopped due to lack of time.) .

some loose comments :
I guess those tools can only deal with esm/esp/bsa , not openmw own format for mods ?

The TES III plugin Conflict Detector sounds like it could be very useful.

afaik MGE XE is not compatible with openmw, that reduces wrye mash usability .