Idea - Dev-led OpenMW Tech Talks

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Greendogo

Idea - Dev-led OpenMW Tech Talks

Post by Greendogo »

So at work we have weekly to monthly meetings to tech talks about development in our industry and it's also a time for our devs to give demos of their team's project or their private coding projects.

I was thinking similar might be fun for some of our devs to do regarding their own work on the engine or their other work outside of OpenMW. It would also liven up our Blog publishing and give people something interesting to read that doesn't rely on our release schedule.

A few ideas are:
  • Benchmarks on different systems or between different revisions
  • Guest blogs from the multiplayer mod team
  • Scrawl mentioned the engine is pretty-much not-thread safe. Discuss what this means and why that's important.
  • The Game Developers Conference has been going on the last 3 days, did anyone go or know of any interesting developments?
  • Talk about future plans for the engine or refactoring, etc. More or less a tech talk again.
  • Comparisons of other similar engines and their approach to things, like modding, etc.
  • Anytime we get a cool update to one of our dependencies and one of the devs is excited about it and wants to write why it's cool
  • Similarly, maybe someone's excited about new compiler compatibility for a newer C++? That would be interesting
  • The GitHub repo is always full of fun stories about what's going on in the codebase, an in-depth review of one of modules (maybe even as a recurring segment) would be really fun!
  • I know a new blog post is going to come up soon and it's probably going to talk a bit about the new Pathfinding patch we're getting! That could be a tech talk about pathfinding and a bit of history about the development of that in games and why it's hard and what we're doing to accomplish that feature better with the new PR.
Anyway, those are some ideas, but I think it would be pretty fun to have some Blog articles from some of our talented developers and maybe give them something to do and our fans something to read!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Idea - Dev-led OpenMW Tech Talks

Post by psi29a »

Just a nitpick, but multiplayer OpenMW is not a mod for OpenMW, but a new feature (currently out of tree) branch that will be eventually merged in. I would count them as OpenMW developers and not guests. ;)

Otherwise, a capital idea good sir!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I mean... if someone wants to ask me some questions and count that as an interview, I guess I could say some things about shadows.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 22:11 I mean... if someone wants to ask me some questions and count that as an interview, I guess I could say some things about shadows.
I think it would be interesting for those wanting to join and help but are intimidated by our codebase. To know what made you want to help, where you started and how you learned to work with OSG and OpenMW. I think things like that would really help not only PR but also people wanting to make that jump and help.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Oh, yeah, let's do one like that, that'll be very interesting.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I think the difficulty with the interview format is the interviewer doesn't know enough about the subject to know what questions to ask... the impetus is kind of on the subject matter expert to come up with the talking points!
lysol

Post by lysol »

True raevol, so it'd have to be someone who is familiar with the project and knows their way around techy gaming stuff.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@lyson: Is the new post a response to this idea?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Nah, not exactly. But I did think a bit about doing an interview instead when you posted this. Didn't have time for it at that time though.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Ah, well it still fit with the vibe of an interesting tech related news post, so more of that! Good post lysol!