Help about Fonts

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
terrestriann

Help about Fonts

Post by terrestriann »

Some time ago, I was willing to do a translation mod. But I couldn't. Because I was not able to use some characters.As far as I know, classic Morrowind engine supports limited font characters. I wonder whether OpenMW has more vast support about it or not. What do you guys know about that?
lysol

Re: Help about Fonts

Post by lysol »

OpenMW has full support for truetype fonts as far as I know.
Chris

Post by Chris »

The main problem is that Morrowind's data files use specific code pages, which is a limited set of characters that is different for different supported languages. As a result, a mod is limited to the same character set that the game is set for. Internally, I'm told OpenMW converts the character set for the individual code pages to unicode depending on the relevant config setting, but as far as I know, there's currently no way to declare a specific data file as using unicode which limits the potential for user translations to other languages. The font itself isn't a problem, I don't think, but rather the code page used to interpret the data files.
terrestriann

Post by terrestriann »

lysol wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:06 OpenMW has full support for truetype fonts as far as I know.
I saw this when I was surfing on their wiki page. Couldn't understand if this helps or not.
terrestriann

Post by terrestriann »

Chris wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 02:43 The main problem is that Morrowind's data files use specific code pages, which is a limited set of characters that is different for different supported languages. As a result, a mod is limited to the same character set that the game is set for. Internally, I'm told OpenMW converts the character set for the individual code pages to unicode depending on the relevant config setting, but as far as I know, there's currently no way to declare a specific data file as using unicode which limits the potential for user translations to other languages. The font itself isn't a problem, I don't think, but rather the code page used to interpret the data files.
Seems like I have nothing to do but waiting.