OpenMW Self Enchanting Formula

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Ratimmy

OpenMW Self Enchanting Formula

Post by Ratimmy »

Hello, I was wondering if someone could explain the formula for enchanting in OpenMW. Even when I have 115 intelligence and 111 enchant I still can not make any decent enchantments.
Capostrophic

Re: OpenMW Self Enchanting Formula

Post by Capostrophic »

The formula goes like this: skill level is summed with 1/4 of Intelligence and 1/8 of Luck attributes - let's call this sum "the base chance". The modifier chance is calculated through division of 7.5 magic number by enchantment chance mult GMST (normally 3), multiplied by 1 if the effect is not constant and by enchantment constant chance multiplier (normally 0.5) if it's a constant effect. The result is multiplied by the magnitude of the enchantment.

The modifier is subtracted from the base chance.

Then, during self-enchanting, the result chance is compared with a dice roll result. If it's lower or equal to the dice roll result, you fail.

At 115 Intelligence, 111 Enchant and 60 Luck you have a 97% chance to apply a 20 point non-constant enchantment and a 22% chance to apply a 50 non-constant point enchantment.
Jemolk

Re: OpenMW Self Enchanting Formula

Post by Jemolk »

Incidentally, this is also the vanilla formula. Without massive fortification of Enchant skill, Int or Luck, you're generally going to fail any really powerful enchantments. It's kinda dumb. If you want to resolve this without modding the chances, you can always make a spell to fortify Enchant 100pts on self for 1 second, and you can add that effect to the spell up to 8 times, meaning Fortify Enchant 800pts total for 1 sec on self. Then you can reliably enchant anything. If you don't want to powergame that, you'll need to either pay an exorbitant sum of money to have an NPC enchant things for you, or mod the chance.