[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
IvarTron

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by IvarTron »

Tested it using a Huawei p9 with Android 7. Works fine with some random crashes when loading the menu. Decent fps indoors, but a bit slow outdoors.

Would love to test more extensively, but i'm having a really hard time with the controllers. Do you have any plans in the future for adding external controller support?
krupepe55

Post by krupepe55 »

Great work! I'm impressed, latest version of openmw running on my Mi6 snapdragon 835. I use Gog version of the game.
Playable smooth fps even in exteriors.
I'm looking for Future improvements.
If you have paypal account, I would like to send you some donation.
What I would like to se someday is gamepad support, I have 3 different ones, no one work right now. I tryed mapping gamepad to press touch controls, but without any luck for now, I must look more into it.
What is sad, if I edit settings.cfg in
"Android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/config/openmw" it get replaced everytime I open an app openmw. I tryed changes in resolution and gui scaling factor for bigger gui, but as I said, it get replaced everytime.
Thank you many times for your work!
rubejb

Post by rubejb »

xyzz wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 04:39 It should be possible to scale the GUI, I think that's what the https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master ... ing-factor option does. I'm thinking about calculating device_dpi / 96 and setting it as the option automatically (I assume 96 dpi corresponds to 1.0 scale).
I tried to change the scaling option, but I can't seem to find the proper .cfg file to edit.

I've tried the one in \Android\Data\com.libopen...\config\openmw\ as well as the settings-default.cfg in the base \openmw\ directory. Neither seem to apply.

So do you know which one I should be editing?

Thanks!
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

You can't customize settings at the moment because the java launcher wipes and reinitializes them when starting the game.
krupepe55

Post by krupepe55 »

Another thing that I notice is that in Glesv2 I didn't see anything underwater in Glesv1 it's a way better.
Mrzombieghost2

Post by Mrzombieghost2 »

Hey Xyzz is it possible to use mods on this android build of openmw?
rubejb

Post by rubejb »

xyzz wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 22:42 You can't customize settings at the moment because the java launcher wipes and reinitializes them when starting the game.
Ah, okay. I thought something like that was happening, as I noticed the files reverted to the default settings after I ran the app.

Thanks again for your hard work, I'll just keep an eye on this thread to watch for new releases.
Ibhram

Post by Ibhram »

Noticed that when the app loses focus, you cant recover it... the screen goes black ( the onscreen controls remain ). Quite a hassle on a phone or shorter gameplay sessions.

The controls are quite hard to manage. The analog sticks are somewhat ok ( too much center deadzone and too much acceleration for my taste but you can get used to them ). The bigger problem comes when you have to control the mouse cursor... the analog stick it's too imprecise.

I think as options:
The middle of the screen should have an area that works as a touchpad.
A button in the interface that hides the UI and makes the full screen work either as a touchpad or as a touch screen ( touch where you want the pointer )

I mostly play touchscreen games and Ive tested quite a lot of fps's and so far, the only ones that have nailed the onscreen controls for my taste are the Beloko's ports...if you have time I'd suggest taking a look at them ( recently he relaunched his doom port on the play store ).

All in all, the projects is SO nice and impressive.
krupepe55

Post by krupepe55 »

I have managed how to use my gamepad controller with it and man....it's awesome! I have mapped it to emulate touches, so it use Xyzz onscreen controls. Its perfectly playable and feels better this way for testing purposes. There are some bugs, but Xyzz I will thank you from the deep of my Heart for your hard work, and openmw team of course.
Two more things that I noticed.
If you hide onscreen controls from launcher, it crashes immediately, if you want I can provide logs.
Second one is that if you apply opacity on them, for example to make on screen controls invisible, it doesnt works, and controls are still shown.
Last edited by krupepe55 on 04 Feb 2018, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

OpenMW supports GUI scaling natively with some minor issues, but... Configuration files can't be edited on Android, can they?