[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
mojoswagger1980

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING INSTABILITY THAT RESULTS IN THE APP CRASHING, try this: navigate to the settings.cfg file located at /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/config/openmw/ and insert the following

[Cells]
preload enabled = false

You will need to add the category ([Cells]) as well as setting and also

[Video]
framerate limit = 60.0

The video category is already made, you just need to add the setting .
**Note**disabling preload will increase cell load times. The default values for these and all settings is located at /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/openmw/ in case you need it or want to play around with the values. By default any value listed in the default-settings.cfg that isnt in the settings.cfg is applied. To overwrite add category (if not already there) then setting and value.

***edit*** i am going to tentitively say,
[Cells]
preload enabed = true
preload instances = false

seems to be stable, and nowhere near as much transitional loading as turning off preload entirely. Disabling sound would also help. The engine utilizes 4 threads by default: a graphics, a gamelogic, an audio, and a preload thread. You can eliminate 2 of the 4 and still run it.
whatthe

Post by whatthe »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:49 IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING INSTABILITY THAT RESULTS IN THE APP CRASHING, try this: navigate to the settings.cfg file located at /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/config/openmw/ and insert the following

[Cells]
preload enabled = false
...etc...
Will any of the changes here improve performance, or more importantly increase battery life and decrease heat? Are there any settings we can change ( aside from the in-game and launcher settings) to improve performance? I tried lowering the resolution but I'm guessing that is tied to other things and cannot be so easily changed.

I want to be able to have some view distance is all, but I understand the limitations so I can make do.
Flessen

Post by Flessen »

whatthe wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 16:16
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:49 IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING INSTABILITY THAT RESULTS IN THE APP CRASHING, try this: navigate to the settings.cfg file located at /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/config/openmw/ and insert the following

[Cells]
preload enabled = false
...etc...
Will any of the changes here improve performance, or more importantly increase battery life and decrease heat? Are there any settings we can change ( aside from the in-game and launcher settings) to improve performance? I tried lowering the resolution but I'm guessing that is tied to other things and cannot be so easily changed.

I want to be able to have some view distance is all, but I understand the limitations so I can make do.
[Camera]
viewing distance = 2000.0 (minimum distance) or
viewing distance = 6666.0 (maximum distance will affect performance.

Read the default config file in /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/openmw there are many examples of what you can use and don't forget the category as mojoswagger1980 has posted
whatthe

Post by whatthe »

Flessen wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 18:45

[Cells]
preload enabled = false
...etc...
Will any of the changes here improve performance, or more importantly increase battery life and decrease heat?
[Camera]
viewing distance = 2000.0 (minimum distance) or
viewing distance = 6666.0 (maximum distance will affect performance.

Read the default config file in /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/openmw there are many examples of what you can use and don't forget the category as mojoswagger1980 has posted
That is the value of the minimum from the in-game distance slider, I am looking for other methods to save on performance to increase battery life, and maybe free up resources so I don't have to have view distance at absolute minimum.
mojoswagger1980

[Cells]
preload enabled = false
...etc...

No, actually these settings would limit performance. It is my belief that this is no different than any other android app and therefore the most common cause of crash is too many threads being used by the main activity for the processors to handle. As far as the phone getting hot, i have not experienced that, so while these settings may prevent that, i cant honestly say as i wasnt trying to prevent that. i crashed once on the second suggested settings and have since adjusted min/max cache to 15 and the preload distance to 500. Completed the game last night (main quest) without anymore crashes. Currently headed for Necronom (Tamriel Rebuilt) with no further crashes.
mojoswagger1980

I hereby certify that the game is completable! There are no bugs within the engine preventing completion of the main quest line. Completed it 07-12-18.
mojoswagger1980

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 18:44

[Cells]
preload enabled = false
...etc...

No, actually these settings would limit performance. It is my belief that this is no different than any other android app and therefore the most common cause of crash is too many threads being used by the main activity for the processors to handle. As far as the phone getting hot, i have not experienced that, so while these settings may prevent that, i cant honestly say as i wasnt trying to prevent that. i crashed once on the second suggested settings and have since adjusted min/max cache to 15 and the preload distance to 500. Completed the game last night (main quest) without anymore crashes. Currently headed for Necronom (Tamriel Rebuilt) with no further crashes.
view distance is kind of a pain but only as at it relates to water . specifically the ability to see under it on opengles2 lib . i have to set it to about half or else its greysout completely . doesnt do this on opengl1es lib but its not rendering it right, the water is "bright" on the surface and the wrong color . below is fine but the discoloration makes it hard to see below without getting in .
nuitn0ire

Post by nuitn0ire »

Hello !

First, I want to thank the dev of this incredible gift.. it's like a dream, Morrowind on my phone, I do not trust it :)

Well, when I discover this port, I ran installing it on my phone and tested it.

Well, what I did in my case to have it runnable :

- Installation of Morrowind with the 2 addons (Bloodmoon & Tribunal) on my PC. It's an ISO version, not a Steam version.
- Renammed "Data Files" folder to "datas" in the installation path
- Copyed the Morrowind directory to the root of my phone
- Installed the actual apk of OpenMW
- Configured the path to /storage/emulated/0/Morrowind/datas/
- Just click on play and... :o :o :o

My phone is a Huwai P10 Pro (chinese spy edition :p) and it seem to works, but have some troubles :

- Water is white, or inexistant
- If I leave the game, when I come back the screen is black

Here is for the moment. Will try it more sooner.

And I repeat, THANK YOU for this gift !

Edit : Guys ! It works like a charm with a gamepad !! I just connect my Gamesir GS4 and tryed to play, without any tunning.. everything work ! Jump, fight, select, mouse, etc.. everything work without tunning ! OMG, it's perfect !
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

nuitn0ire wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 10:50 Hello !

First, I want to thank the dev of this incredible gift.. it's like a dream, Morrowind on my phone, I do not trust it :)

Well, when I discover this port, I ran installing it on my phone and tested it.

Well, what I did in my case to have it runnable :

- Installation of Morrowind with the 2 addons (Bloodmoon & Tribunal) on my PC. It's an ISO version, not a Steam version.
- Renammed "Data Files" folder to "datas" in the installation path
- Copyed the Morrowind directory to the root of my phone
- Installed the actual apk of OpenMW
- Configured the path to /storage/emulated/0/Morrowind/datas/
- Just click on play and... :o :o :o

My phone is a Huwai P10 Pro (chinese spy edition :p) and it seem to works, but have some troubles :

- Water is white, or inexistant
- If I leave the game, when I come back the screen is black

Here is for the moment. Will try it more sooner.

And I repeat, THANK YOU for this gift !

Edit : Guys ! It works like a charm with a gamepad !! I just connect my Gamesir GS4 and tryed to play, without any tunning.. everything work ! Jump, fight, select, mouse, etc.. everything work without tunning ! OMG, it's perfect !
你是中国人吗?
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

Some guy reported a crash when trying to exit the chargen boat.