[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
iSynic

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by iSynic »

So I still crash when exiting the ship at the beginning of the game on my Nvidia Shield TV.

Is the only current workaround to turn off cell preloading? Is that detrimental to draw distance or does it incur periodic loading times when approaching adjacent cells?

Thanks.
knivessout

Post by knivessout »

Hi, I registered to give a HUGE THANKS to all involved in this project! Amazing! I also have a few comments and suggestions:

1. There is no "gamma" or brightness option. On my phone (LG G5), the game is very dark, unless I max my device brightness which kills battery very quickly. The workaround I have found is by using console commands (hit ~ during gameplay) to create constant effect night-eye items. For example,
Player->AddItem "ring of azura" 2
will add two constant effect night-eye rings to your inventory. Alternatively (and more involved), you can custom enchant something like an amulet with a higher level of night-eye. You will need to enter something like this:
Player->AddSoulGem "golden saint" misc_soulgem_grand
Player->AddItem "exquisite_amulet_01" 1
player->AddItem "Gold_001" XXXXXX
, where "XXXXXX" is the cost of enchanting that amulet with night-eye constant effect as high as you can at the mages' guild. Yes, this is technically cheating, but I had to do it for my eyes and battery. You can also AddSpell "eye of night" if you prefer not to use items, but you need to constantly re-cast the spell, which is annoying to me.

2. Regarding battery consumption, I also enabled Vsync in the in-game settings, which limits my framerate to 60 (useful indoors). I lowered ansiotropy to minimum. I have not found a way to lower the resolution to save battery. I have modified both settings.cfg and settings-default.cfg to various resolutions, but it seems that the file is always overwritten with my native device resolution upon startup. Has anyone found a way to reduce the resolution on android? Is there a way to prevent the settings from being reset, or maybe entering a Custom Command Line Argument to alter resolution?

Thanks again!
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

knivessout wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 16:28 Hi, I registered to give a HUGE THANKS to all involved in this project! Amazing! I also have a few comments and suggestions:

1. There is no "gamma" or brightness option. On my phone (LG G5), the game is very dark, unless I max my device brightness which kills battery very quickly. The workaround I have found is by using console commands (hit ~ during gameplay) to create constant effect night-eye items. For example,
Player->AddItem "ring of azura" 2
will add two constant effect night-eye rings to your inventory. Alternatively (and more involved), you can custom enchant something like an amulet with a higher level of night-eye. You will need to enter something like this:
Player->AddSoulGem "golden saint" misc_soulgem_grand
Player->AddItem "exquisite_amulet_01" 1
player->AddItem "Gold_001" XXXXXX
, where "XXXXXX" is the cost of enchanting that amulet with night-eye constant effect as high as you can at the mages' guild. Yes, this is technically cheating, but I had to do it for my eyes and battery. You can also AddSpell "eye of night" if you prefer not to use items, but you need to constantly re-cast the spell, which is annoying to me.

2. Regarding battery consumption, I also enabled Vsync in the in-game settings, which limits my framerate to 60 (useful indoors). I lowered ansiotropy to minimum. I have not found a way to lower the resolution to save battery. I have modified both settings.cfg and settings-default.cfg to various resolutions, but it seems that the file is always overwritten with my native device resolution upon startup. Has anyone found a way to reduce the resolution on android? Is there a way to prevent the settings from being reset, or maybe entering a Custom Command Line Argument to alter resolution?

Thanks again!
vsync is graphical optimization that reduces tearing in texture vertexes, any impact it has on framerate is incidental. you can manually limit your framerate via settings.cfg. there are 2 settings 1.Framerate limit in video and 2. target framerate in Game (? not sure most likely?) modifying the default-settings.cfg does nothing and is extremely unwise. if you screw somthing up in settings.cfg......i guess you could just reset it . point withdrawn. Resolution Change isnt currently possible (not for lack of trying). i think the problem is the way touchscreen lcd resolution is determined doesnt make any sense to the engine. i dont beleive it understands pixel density as the determining variable it only will display the one option or no options if you change the screen to be played on in settings.cfg to anything other than 0.
knivessout

Post by knivessout »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 03:36 vsync is graphical optimization that reduces tearing in texture vertexes, any impact it has on framerate is incidental. you can manually limit your framerate via settings.cfg. there are 2 settings 1.Framerate limit in video and 2. target framerate in Game (? not sure most likely?) modifying the default-settings.cfg does nothing and is extremely unwise. if you screw somthing up in settings.cfg......i guess you could just reset it . point withdrawn. Resolution Change isnt currently possible (not for lack of trying). i think the problem is the way touchscreen lcd resolution is determined doesnt make any sense to the engine. i dont beleive it understands pixel density as the determining variable it only will display the one option or no options if you change the screen to be played on in settings.cfg to anything other than 0.
Thank you for the explanation. My assumption was incorrect that the settings.cfg resets when I run the app. Turns out it was only resetting the resolution values, but the rest remains. I was able to verify by setting a framerate limit under [Video] as you said.

Now that I know I can alter the settings, I think I will attempt to run some mods as well! :D I'll need to do a little research, my Steam install files only contain BSA files, so I cannot alter the textures, meshes, etc. directly, or at least not very easily that I know of.
Fanofgoodwork

Re: It won't launch

Post by Fanofgoodwork »

I try to launch it but it always says " Morrowind.bsa not found" any idea were I can download the BSA?
mojoswagger1980

knivessout wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 14:46
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 03:36 vsync is graphical optimization that reduces tearing in texture vertexes, any impact it has on framerate is incidental. you can manually limit your framerate via settings.cfg. there are 2 settings 1.Framerate limit in video and 2. target framerate in Game (? not sure most likely?) modifying the default-settings.cfg does nothing and is extremely unwise. if you screw somthing up in settings.cfg......i guess you could just reset it . point withdrawn. Resolution Change isnt currently possible (not for lack of trying). i think the problem is the way touchscreen lcd resolution is determined doesnt make any sense to the engine. i dont beleive it understands pixel density as the determining variable it only will display the one option or no options if you change the screen to be played on in settings.cfg to anything other than 0.
Thank you for the explanation. My assumption was incorrect that the settings.cfg resets when I run the app. Turns out it was only resetting the resolution values, but the rest remains. I was able to verify by setting a framerate limit under [Video] as you said.

Now that I know I can alter the settings, I think I will attempt to run some mods as well! :D I'll need to do a little research, my Steam install files only contain BSA files, so I cannot alter the textures, meshes, etc. directly, or at least not very easily that I know of.
Timeout! You got the resolution to change? how? i litteraly tried everything upto and including hooking a seperate monitor up and using it as secondary display (works!!! can access all resolutions monitor is capable of)but unless im planning on dragging a monitor around with me i really dont see what good it does me. android has the ability to be a secondary display, it has the ability to simulate one for adjustment purposes, but for whatever reason it cant achieve the resolution without an additional monitor (pixel density throwing a wrench in the gears i bet)but if you got it to work, im all ears .
knivessout

Post by knivessout »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 17:29
Timeout! You got the resolution to change? how? i litteraly tried everything upto and including hooking a seperate monitor up and using it as secondary display (works!!! can access all resolutions monitor is capable of)but unless im planning on dragging a monitor around with me i really dont see what good it does me. android has the ability to be a secondary display, it has the ability to simulate one for adjustment purposes, but for whatever reason it cant achieve the resolution without an additional monitor (pixel density throwing a wrench in the gears i bet)but if you got it to work, im all ears .
Ah, no no, sorry for the confusion. My settings.cfg file constantly resets to 2392*1440 (on LG G5), but the rest of the settings.cfg keeps the values that I edited. I wish I could reduce the res!
Last edited by knivessout on 24 Jul 2018, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Fanofgoodwork wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 17:17 I try to launch it but it always says " Morrowind.bsa not found" any idea were I can download the BSA?
From Steam or GoG. Buy it, download it, copy the files over, the directions of which are in the first post in this thread.
mojoswagger1980

Fanofgoodwork wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 17:17 I try to launch it but it always says " Morrowind.bsa not found" any idea were I can download the BSA?
The .bsa is root of the Data-Files folder. it should also contain the .esm files. it might also have .esp files (GoG version includes all the official plugins). you should have set your path to data as somthing like /storage/emulated/0/Morrowind/Data-Files/ . you should have renamed the folder Data Files to Data-Files (or whatever you want it just can contain no spaces). And on the off chance you think this is a game in the sense you install the apk and play, it isnt its just the engine to play the game. you must own the game, install it on a pc, copy the installation to your phone and then follow the above steps in order to get it to work. if your not that guy then the most common reason to get that error message is an incorrect data path caused by 1)mislabled sdcard by your stock file manager leading you to think its labeled sdcard 1 or 2.) you forgot to rename the data folder to omit the space .
mojoswagger1980

knivessout wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 18:01
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 17:29
Ah, no no, sorry for the confusion. My settings.cfg file constantly resets to 2392*1440 (on LG G5), but the rest of the settings.cfg keeps the values that I edited. I wish I could reduce the res!
no problem . i got it to change resolution with a J5 create adapter a usb to otg splitter and a pc monitor which would indicate the problem isnt with the build . i think its android and it shouldnt be. the pc monitor connected via my adapter and i select the monitor as primary display can change redolution but only to the ones you have access to preview in developers option. its a 4k monitor that can only use 2560*1440 (samsung galaxy note 5) but it can change to the other resolutions and so can the app when its displayed on it. which means android has the ability to do it, its determining the def on the monitor and the app detects the other resolutions but it cant do it natively. that doesn't make sense to me.