[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
mojoswagger1980

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 20:06
devyl wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 11:46
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 06:41
devyl wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 19:47
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 19:28

Complete controller/keyboard support is already in play. you just need to interface it with device then configure via the ingame option. im using a ps4 controller/touchscreen combo and its identical to its pc counterpart in that regard.
Maybe this works with a controller, but the mouse doesn't move the ingame mouse... i cant select/assign it anywhere.
Thats really bizzarre. my standard optical mouse works fine.
i tried a other mouse (usb) and played a bit around:
i can move the mouse like a trackpad in the menues and i can control the ingame mouse to for example move the virtual joysticks. but this is not how it should work.
hmmm im not sure where to go with this. check out the controllerdb located in /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw and see if yours is listed. maybe it thinks its somthing else. i wouldnt think a 3rd party keymapper could fix this. if it were the other way around (you had mouse movement but could not use the keys)this would be simple....did you try disabling the touch controls (hiding them). the thought is maybe they are attempting to interpret your mouse feed as stick movements. i had no control when i tried this so its not real likely to help....you could try shrinking them down to nothing. this was what i did to hide them because simply lowering the alpha does not disable they are still there and active. shrinking most likely doesnt disable either but it makes it impoosible to inadvertently activate them . if that fails you might try an older release. if i think of anything else ill post. if you have anything else to add or you get it working (or you break the damn thing in frustration)do the same. people tend to read the longer conversations in forums maybe someone sees this and knows a fix.
lol thought i was done but then this occurred to me: what about trying to bind/restrict your mouses movement to just the right stick? this would need to be done with somthing like tincore keymapper and the sensitivity would most likely need to be adjusted. not ideal, but out of everything ive thrown at ya thus far, this has the most potential of getting you up and gaming today, in my opinion. then you just lower the alpha to hide the stick. ok im done got to go to work. best of luck!
devyl

Post by devyl »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 06:41 Thats really bizzarre. my standard optical mouse works fine.
Which release do you use? which andriod version do you have?
i use 2018-04-21 on Android 7.1.

It doesn't help if i hide the onscreen controls. It makes it even worse because with deactivated on screen controls there is no possibility to look around.
mojoswagger1980

Texafornian wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 17:10 Is there a command line argument to display the FPS (F3 functionality)? I'd like to see if the optimized meshes actually have an impact. BTW it installed with no issues on a Samsung Galaxy S5 and appears to be working very well:

Graphics library: GLESv2 (to fix water)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Interior FPS: Around 30-60 (estimate)
Exterior FPS: Around 15-30 (estimate)
the dev was unable to get fps function to work on the android port. going to need somthing third party....gltools has fps. ill run it real quick and report back im in the middle of vivec so that should be a decent test spot though its kind of on the crowded side maybe ill ride back to seyda neen.
***i got 45-60 fps regardless of being indoor/outdoor in balmora depending upon how populated the area is,more people=less frames (turns out thats where i saved not vivec) deleted the meshes and got the same....maybe Balmora isnt a great test site. My overall framerate improves slightly over outdoor when isolated but about the same in groups of people(used the bottom floor of mage guild and the empty adjacent hallway) Will look into it more extensively at home this evening. My resolution is 2560 * 1440 and i use opengles1 because the opengles2 setting obscures everything below the surface of the water on my device (galaxy note 5 snapdragon 64bit with the andreno 430. Ressurection Remix 6.0 which is based on android oreo 8.1 rc22.
****retested with opengl2 and my results were not so stellar but more beleivable not sure why it scores do much better with opengles1 but im getting 15-25 fps outside depending on the number of npc's in the given area and major dips to around 5 for the first sec or so on loads. inside 35 to 40 fps and wasnt near as affected by the presence of npcs but they dont move around anywhere near as much as the outside guys which probably accounts for that. i can definetly see graphical improvements particularly in the armor worn by imperial npcs (actually all clothing not just armor or imperials but the shinier armor is really easy to see and there heads arent as blocky. probably all races but its easier to tell on the humans. the hair got blended alot better on everything. and of course now i can sre underwater on opengles2 though i dont know if thats the reason i also pointed gltools to the shaders in /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/resources/shaders. could be a combination of the 2. anyway point is it feels like its playing more fluidly and it does look better.
Last edited by mojoswagger1980 on 10 Jun 2018, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
mojoswagger1980

devyl wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 21:17
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 06:41 Thats really bizzarre. my standard optical mouse works fine.
Which release do you use? which andriod version do you have?
i use 2018-04-21 on Android 7.1.

It doesn't help if i hide the onscreen controls. It makes it even worse because with deactivated on screen controls there is no possibility to look around.
im using the same build. im running Ressurection Remix 6.0 which is based on android oreo 8.1 rc22. we should be pretty comparitive in terms of firmware im using a galaxy note 5. not related but im wondering if its just my device, i cannot see underwater when using the opengles2 renderer if it isnt too much trouble could you confirm/refute this. its weird the surface is perfect but not under and i switch renderers and its the complete opposite surface is ugly but below its perfect. and yep the hide controls function is evidently not working properly its on the bug list. my optical isnt as functional as i initially reported i only get the button function unless i bring up menu its not tracking correctly. there are no mice registered in controllerdb which may or may not mean anything.

Edit: Somhow its fixed ! might be the meshes from the above post or maybe becausr i went into gltools and told it to load shaders from the ones provided in /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/resources/shaders/. maybe it was divine intervention, but im leaning toward either theory 1 or 2 possibly a combo of the 2 ;)

Edit#2 :i beleive the mouse cursor we see is actually just an overlay. , it doesnt detect the mouse like it does the controller because in an analog set up device has to constantly poll controller for positioning. mouse is strictly optical (correct me if im wrong )its just using the bt to transmit data and it can update via its position on the screen unlike your pc its not direct interaction its got to go through simpledirectmedialayer 2 which is whats making control interaction on one device seem just as seamless in emulation as it is in native but it faces limitations namely while it does detect and readily map to the mouse the only means it has for mouse movement is the cursor so it only works (movement)when it the cursor is physically on screen because the sec it goes away it has no means of tracking mouse movement :(
Last edited by mojoswagger1980 on 12 Jun 2018, 03:14, edited 2 times in total.
mojoswagger1980

csombek wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 13:13 I was just wondering. Is it possible to make the lock screen and volume buttons work as quick item/magic buttons.
maybe but not from within the app. you would have to remap them as keyboard functions already in play so you would need somthing that let you map them to keyboard keys and assign the coinciding quickkey or whatever . i probably wouldnt mess withe power button though, just volume. my thought on that is one set isnt connected to anything necessary to run the phone i dont know anything bad would happen, just saying i wouldnt do it. i think gamekeyboard+ or tincore might be worth looking at if its somthing you really would like to do.

****Edit: i tried just to see what would happen and was able to remap the volume buttons with external keyboard helper demo on the playstore. works . wouldn't let me remap power but i can remap back and i can remap recents and home but i have to remap on device first to alternates. if it was home key it would override and exit app so i changed it to no function and it all me to remap .power isnt remappable as far as i can tell. im using a custom rom (Ressurection Remix 6.0) and havent used a stock rom in so long that i litterally dont know what functionality they have in this regard so home and recentd are only remappable if you can disable there native function first. back button oddly enough will remap without being disabled. not sure why,thought it was due to the fact that back doesnt go uot of app but neither does recents in my setup it just overlays (i use slim recents). so i guess you should be able to remap 3 keys regardless of wether or not you have the ability to disable and 2 more if you can disable the home and recents keys. Its important to mention if you remap these keys you need another means of accessing them i used pie because fling and the onscreen navbar distort the screen image in-game.its not all that hard....finding the menu to change keys was the hardest part. the apps ui isnt fantastic in the change keymap you need check the box immeadiatly under keycode which is first on list from top then right undder that off-centered is a tiny drop down arrow with the very best key selection ive ever seen on any mapper and ive seen my share below that is if you want to assign multiple keys to same key via up to 3 modifier keys (have to be individual keys you cant add any function to whatever you select as the modifier it can only do that) i like it so much i bought the pro version which just supports the dev you get nothing new with purchase.it cant map the various directions on an analog stick however only bummer i found thus far .
Last edited by mojoswagger1980 on 11 Jun 2018, 20:08, edited 5 times in total.
mojoswagger1980

Texafornian wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 15:44
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 10:47
Capostrophic wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 09:38 Yes, just drop it into the data folder. Trees on Bitter Coast (Seyda Neen) should look different, because they use alpha testing and the leaves become sharp.
yeah i was just checking that out . you wouldnt happen to have a tribunal delayed link would you(delays Dark Brotherhood attacks at night til tribunal when they originally came in ) that isnt from nexusmods ? i checked moddb .
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-53-8080
thanks man ! very cool.lol the leaves on the trees in seyda neen ...i am nowhere near that observant i dont recall tree having leaves in the town. do you mean as in an overall location like in and around ? like just grouping everything together . meh rhetorical i can see the improvements in armor but i think its most prevalent in head shape, really smoothed them out. and their hair is much improved i can see individual strands now before all hair looked like an ugly mishappen hat on my head
Veggicide

Post by Veggicide »

Just put this on my Galaxy S7 (running android 7.0.something), works great! Thanks so much for the work you put into this!
Veggicide

Post by Veggicide »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 08:23
Texafornian wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 17:37 This ESP-less collection of optimized meshes could greatly improve FPS for mobile users:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384

I haven't tested it on an Android device, but I've seen a big FPS difference on my PC, especially on Solstheim.
ill have to check this out. a patchless patch lol. btw .esp files can be run using the command line argument --content . i tested the official bethesda patches that came bundled in the GoG version . you can see them all load on the same screen the .esm files load on. at least one person managed to get tamriel rebuilt running. i couldnt get the .bsa archives to register :( . but this looks like it could be promising. so its just a matter of unzipping it into data ? no command line argument needed? how do i know if its installed correctly? could you give an example of some item or whatnot that i can use for comparison ?

I put this on and it works great! View distance of 6666, water shaders off, and bilinear and 4x and I get a consistent 50+FPS in balmora. With water shaders it drops to 30ish depending on where in town I am.

I think I already know the answer to this, but can the android port do multiplayer with TES3MP?
RockFalcon

Post by RockFalcon »

I have a problem, the music sounds perfectly but the game itself doesn't shows and I can only see a black screen with the controllers on it, is there a way to fix this by myself? Or do I have to download another version?
mojoswagger1980

Veggicide wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 23:11
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 08:23
Texafornian wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 17:37 This ESP-less collection of optimized meshes could greatly improve FPS for mobile users:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384

I haven't tested it on an Android device, but I've seen a big FPS difference on my PC, especially on Solstheim.
ill have to check this out. a patchless patch lol. btw .esp files can be run using the command line argument --content . i tested the official bethesda patches that came bundled in the GoG version . you can see them all load on the same screen the .esm files load on. at least one person managed to get tamriel rebuilt running. i couldnt get the .bsa archives to register :( . but this looks like it could be promising. so its just a matter of unzipping it into data ? no command line argument needed? how do i know if its installed correctly? could you give an example of some item or whatnot that i can use for comparison ?

I put this on and it works great! View distance of 6666, water shaders off, and bilinear and 4x and I get a consistent 50+FPS in balmora. With water shaders it drops to 30ish depending on where in town I am.

I think I already know the answer to this, but can the android port do multiplayer with TES3MP?
nope, that probably need to be a completely seperate launcher just like on pc. i doubt android could handle the server load to host but, maybe a client-only side could be implemented.