[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
Sonny101

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by Sonny101 »

Zanarkan

there can be many reasons why your phone doesn't display water... it may be a device specific issue
it may be because (according to GSMArena) your phone has android 5.1.1 which is the lowest supported android version
it may be because some of your files are missing or you tried to copy modded files but you didn't install those mods on phone
it may be because you used some water shaders or programs on the PC from which you copied your files (I heard MGEXE changes water shaders)
from what I read in your previous comments, you seem like you are using the latest version but I still have to make sure and ask if you really are using the April 21. version :D

first thing I'd recommend you to do is to copy your files there again but this time try not to install any mods, keep it vanilla (see if the issue still persists, and make sure all the neccessary files are there)

btw people, if copying takes a LOT of time for you, you could try to put the morrowind folder to a .rar or .zip file, move that to your phone and unpack it there, this sped it up for me immensely
MorrowindOnMaPhone

Post by MorrowindOnMaPhone »

How do I install mods? I want to only install the Less Generic NPCs mod. Is all I'm suppised to do just copy the extracted files and folders into the Morrowind directory?

Creator said I have to edit a configuration file. Which configuration file would that be and in what way do I edit it?
cchiu23

Post by cchiu23 »

Works great on my phone! runs at perfect speed indoors but slows down a little outside but at acceptable playable levels, I have one major concern though, the cursor is way too big and blocks out the names of items and their descriptions, It should either be made smaller or make it semi transparent

oh and if possible, the text should be blown up too for general readability
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

The GoG version works :) ! Goty edition will most likely work regardless of who distributed it . i actually still have the original game cd and the bloodmoon cd but cant find tribunal but i dont see why the original wouldnt work provided you also install both expansions . neither of the expansions was stand-alone so all game assets would have all installed into a single directory.
Kristubs

Post by Kristubs »

Fubarberry wrote: 03 May 2018, 01:35
PV13 wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 21:43 Hi guys,
I just installed the game on my Samsung Galaxy S7, and while the game starts up fine, Jiub's dialogue doesn't trigger and I am unable to enter my name or move. The guard walks up, but doesn't say anything or move.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem? I downloaded the game from GOG. I'd be fine with just skipping the intro by dropping in save data from the PC version, but can't figure out how to do it.
I had the exact same thing happen. What it was in my case is that not all of the audio files actually transferred over, and so it was waiting for non-existent audio to play before letting me enter my name.

Check your game files, particularly the sound folder. There are 7,273 files in my sound folder for comparison. With that many small files, some systems have trouble transferring them all onto a phone.
I never had a problem with not being able to get past the first part due to audio issues, but to add to this, when I was transferring everything onto my phone for some audio files it would say something like, "your phone might not be able to recognize this audio type, convert & copy or just copy?" At first I did the convert and copy but what it actually ended up doing was breaking those sounds so I couldn't hear interactive things like opening a door or picking the first dagger off the table or looting those first pieces of gold etc.

conclusion: not converting the audio when asked by my phone and simply transferring the audio as-is was what I had to do.
mojoswagger1980

your missing .bsm file for morrowind i think, the .esm files are the game cache if i remeber this right.
mojoswagger1980

is there anyway to change the size or opacity of mouse cursor? am i just missing it ? i found like every other variable of this nature in settings but cant locate this element. :?:
mojoswagger1980

I would like to share a brief tutorial on ui optimization . This applies mostly to devices with a screen size 6 inches or less but applies to larger devices. The method requires android nougat (7.1)or equivalent if your on a custom rom. so i didnt notice how small the in game text and stuff was until i installed on my note 5 . it was small on the nexus but i didnt have to squint. so i noticed the gui setting and started messing with it . upon finding a comfortable magnification i kicked back and was all set to delve right in but immediatly i realized it wasnt that simple. the magnification created a bug that caused the mouse cursor to disappear anytime i moved below the top 3rd of screen leaving me completely blind when it came to clicking tje quick tips and such that are numerous at the beggining . tried every setting i could think of and nothing except the default tiny resolution would work. i decided to take a peek in options and i under video the resolution option i had was 2550x1440 which i immediatly recognized as my phones due to another unrelated problem . Now if your on android nougat im sure you've noticed that you have the ability to change your screen resolution in settings and since my resolution was the only available options i put two and two together and realized i had a whole bunch more variables than i had originally thought. so to wrap this up i put my display on smallest (yeah i know making it smaller doesn't sound right but remeber the magnification is scaled)and my font on largest (no impact just my preference) then i gui magnification to 2 and did a victory dance because low and behold there was my missing mouse cursor. i tried 3 after that decided it was the better option and am currently playing on that setting. Hope this helps someone and i apologize for the fix not being universal.
SirPotato

Post by SirPotato »

Just tested the older app versions, and the version from 25th of March doesn't crash for me, but all the newer ones do. Perhaps it'ss cause of the OpenSceneGraph update? Is there any way to make the used version toggleable?
Might I ask where did you get this older version of the apk? I'm trying to find it but I can't. Or I just missed something obvious.
MistFuror

Post by MistFuror »

SirPotato wrote: 09 May 2018, 06:05
Just tested the older app versions, and the version from 25th of March doesn't crash for me, but all the newer ones do. Perhaps it'ss cause of the OpenSceneGraph update? Is there any way to make the used version toggleable?
Might I ask where did you get this older version of the apk? I'm trying to find it but I can't. Or I just missed something obvious.
From here https://github.com/xyzz/android-port/releases/