[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
SURTRofMuspelheim

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by SURTRofMuspelheim »

I'm trying to get it to load, however it seems that the new android software named my phones internal storage with a space. Which apparently is a no with openMW. I then tried using the Onedrive on my phone (storing the files offline) as it's path didn't contain spaces. No matter how I try to install the game files, where I put it or what I write in the path I get the "cannot find Morrowind.bsa" message. (for referance, my path is "/Internal storage/Morrowind/Data-Files/") Even the SD cards path has a space.

Since openMW doesnt support spaces in a pathway, am I shit out of luck? There has to be a workaround.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's definitely supposed to support spaces in paths. The line in your config file is definitely exactly

Code: Select all

data="/Internal storage/Morrowind/Data-Files/"
right? If so, are you certain the BSA is actually in there?
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

SURTRofMuspelheim wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 20:42 I'm trying to get it to load, however it seems that the new android software named my phones internal storage with a space. Which apparently is a no with openMW. I then tried using the Onedrive on my phone (storing the files offline) as it's path didn't contain spaces. No matter how I try to install the game files, where I put it or what I write in the path I get the "cannot find Morrowind.bsa" message. (for referance, my path is "/Internal storage/Morrowind/Data-Files/") Even the SD cards path has a space.

Since openMW doesnt support spaces in a pathway, am I shit out of luck? There has to be a workaround.
No bro your not . well i guess i shouldnt say that just yet because of the differences in various Android api but i think your ok and this will apply as long as you are on or above marshmallow . Android is a single directory based os which is important in your case because it means anything that access your internal storage has to have a path to it from the root folder:). so you have a lot more possible paths than you think try /sdcard/morrowind/data-files/ or /storage/emulated/0/morrowind/data-files/ or /mnt/sdcard/morrowind/data-files/ to name a few ;) there are many more. if your rooted you can look but ive had quite a few android devices all of them have been rooted, none of them has ever listed the path from root in the matter you describe. try the above even if it isnt displayed that way on your device (built in file mangers do this somtimes i think the stock samsung one did somthing similiar ignore them try the above paths)if all else fails micro extsdcards always are displayed in as an 8 digit hexadecimal identifier with a hyphen in the middle. no spaces anyway if thats an option for you it wouldnt need to be more than 4 gbs might affect game though. never tried on my sdcard to be honest. Make sure that whatever you used to rename the data-files folder is doing it globally (verify with another app idk why but i thought id get you to look at everything again and make sure it looks identical to the example particularly that folder. what error message do you get? failed to load morrowind.bsa/.esm ? )
mojoswagger1980

AnyOldName3 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 21:52 It's definitely supposed to support spaces in paths. The line in your config file is definitely exactly

Code: Select all

data="/Internal storage/Morrowind/Data-Files/"
right? If so, are you certain the BSA is actually in there?
i think hes meant the path to data-files section in the launcher which does not support spacing . lol i was also taking for granite that the installation worked and verified that before transferring to his phone which is probably where this burns me.
mojoswagger1980

SURTRofMuspelheim wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 20:42 I'm trying to get it to load, however it seems that the new android software named my phones internal storage with a space. Which apparently is a no with openMW. I then tried using the Onedrive on my phone (storing the files offline) as it's path didn't contain spaces. No matter how I try to install the game files, where I put it or what I write in the path I get the "cannot find Morrowind.bsa" message. (for referance, my path is "/Internal storage/Morrowind/Data-Files/") Even the SD cards path has a space.

sorry double message but what exactly did you mean by "new android software" named the path ?
mojoswagger1980

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 01:40

No bro your not . well i guess i shouldnt say that just yet because of the differences in various Android api but i think your ok and this will apply as long as you are on or above marshmallow . Android is a single directory based os which is important in your case because it means anything that access your internal storage has to have a path to it from the root folder:). so you have a lot more possible paths than you think try /sdcard/morrowind/data-files/ or /storage/emulated/0/morrowind/data-files/ or /mnt/sdcard/morrowind/data-files/ to name a few ;) there are many more. if your rooted you can look but ive had quite a few android devices all of them have been rooted, none of them has ever listed the path from root in the matter you describe. try the above even if it isnt displayed that way on your device (built in file mangers do this somtimes i think the stock samsung one did somthing similiar ignore them try the above paths)if all else fails micro extsdcards always are displayed in as an 8 digit hexadecimal identifier with a hyphen in the middle. no spaces anyway if thats an option for you it wouldnt need to be more than 4 gbs might affect game though. never tried on my sdcard to be honest. Make sure that whatever you used to rename the data-files folder is doing it globally (verify with another app idk why but i thought id get you to look at everything again and make sure it looks identical to the example particularly that folder. what error message do you get? failed to load morrowind.bsa/.esm ? )
just in case you cannot use a path with sdcard do to its name scheme you can try : /mnt/user/0/morrowind/data-files or /mnt/runtime/default/morrowind/data-files as long as the path exists it can be used as a path to data it really shouldnt make a difference which one its not picky and i cant see any indication its affecting performance any differently then the standard path (it shouldnt matter all roads lead to the same place)
SURTRofMuspelheim

Post by SURTRofMuspelheim »

You are all gentlemen and scholars. It works!

/storage/emulated/0/morrowind/data-files/ was the pathway that did the trick. Thank you!
mojoswagger1980

Observation concerning Opengles2 and visibility underwater: ive encountered a strange graphical bug . it seems my ability to see underwater is dependent upon my view distance while using opengles2 if i set it to lowest setting underwater is visible and if i set to farthest its not . not sure if there is any leeway for other settings. would someone please confirm ? the dev has been working on the rendering issue and id like him to know for certain .
mojoswagger1980

SURTRofMuspelheim wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 21:01 You are all gentlemen and scholars. It works!

/storage/emulated/0/morrowind/data-files/ was the pathway that did the trick. Thank you!
np bud. we wouldnt let a little thing like that ruin a summer in Vardenfall .
mojoswagger1980

Mrzombieghost2 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 03:18
rubejb wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 14:09 Great work so far!

I realize this is very early in development for Android, so perhaps this is just not an option yet... but is there a text or UI scaling option somewhere? I can't read anything on my 5.5" screen. I also realize this would be better played on a tablet, but having it on a phone is pretty dang cool.

I installed the Better Dialogue Font mod that I saw you had in your list, hoping this might increase the text size, but no go.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention my device:

Axon 7 with Android 7.1.1 (at least I think that's the version, it's definitely 7.something)
Try lowering the resolution with this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... thin&hl=en
It (Game Tuner) cant see the app. not even as a non game application. I tried lowering it with gltools and it divided/quatered/octa? the screen :( . i could decrease texture with gltools but it didnt do anything for the resolution which seems to be dead set and determed to sit at 2560 *1440 on my note 5. Why dont you just use the magnification multiplier in options ? was there an issue with it i missed?
Last edited by mojoswagger1980 on 20 Jun 2018, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.