Two bug reports on reddit

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
CMAugust

Re: Two bug reports on reddit

Post by CMAugust »

The wikis aren't wrong: the Lady doesn't affect starting health. It's the subsequent level ups where you see health gains.

Male Dunmer Assassin with the Steed birthsign (40hp, 40 Endurance): 44hp on first level up
Male Dunmer Assassin with the Lady birthsign (40hp, 65 Endurance): 47hp on first level up

My attempt at screen capture failed as my GoG copy was configured wrong. But there it is: As far as the player is concerned, Morrowind's birthsigns are treated as part of your base attributes while in OpenMW they are not.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

LoneWolf wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 13:57 UESP [1] and Elderscrolls [2] wikis both claim the bonus from the Lady birthsign does NOT increase health.
A starting health. In Morrowind birtsign bonuses are added to the base parameter value instead of modified. A bit useless, as for me: In Morrowind values are capped by 100 (75 + birtsign bonus), in OpenMW values are capped by 125 (100 + birtsign bonus).

So with the Lady you are still capped by 10 HP per level, and other stat bonuses are pretty useless in the later game.
Also Endurance usually hits 100 at level 10-20, so additional 25-50 hit points does not make very much difference.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Having Endurance apply a health bonus on subsequent level ups has always felt rather dumb to me. Two characters at the same character level with the same endurance level can have different maximum Health values depending on when endurance was raised; it favors endurance being raised early, which encourages metagaming. I believe there's a mod that makes endurance act retroactively, but it makes endurance buff and debuff effects quite detrimental.
wareya

Post by wareya »

It doesn't matter if it seems dumb. It's part of the vanilla game's balance. Ideally you would eliminate the need to minmax endurance to guarantee max health in the first place, but that's mod territory.
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-90-6521 that is the latest version of the mod Chris mentioned.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Pop000100 wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 07:11 http://mw.modhistory.com/download-90-6521 that is the latest version of the mod Chris mentioned.
Interesting. I just use the ten-lines patch locally to make HP bonus retroactive.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

I honestly never even would have noticed that, since I've always used Talrivian's State-Based HP (the mod linked above). In all honesty, if birthsign bonuses are treated as base attribute changes rather than fortifications, that makes those signs seem much less worthwhile to me, since then you wasted your choice of unique bonuses on simply hitting attribute caps sooner.

Also, damaging or draining Endurance with this mod may actually be a viable strategy, and fortifying it actually does something, so I consider that a win as well. More useful magic effects is always good from the standpoint of a mage.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

i prefer openmw implemetation. the maximum health you can increase per lvlup is capped at 10. and also it uses base attribute not fortified one. however, i also believe birthsign passive ability should be considered an added bonus, not fortified. so lady birthsign should have an effect on health every lvlup. the reason is because a birthsign is part of your character, not some sort of magical buff from nowhere.

health gain per lvl should be capped at max 10 per lvlup.
lady birthsign should affect the health gain per lvl
the problem is lady brthsign is an ability like any other ability
this looks to me like a problem with the games files.

please correct me if im wrong..
Chris

Post by Chris »

kuyondo wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 20:00 the reason is because a birthsign is part of your character, not some sort of magical buff from nowhere.
Isn't a birthsign a magical buff granted by the star sign? If it was just part of your character, it would just be your character's condition as if they had worked out a bit more before the game started or something, not a guiding star sign they were born under that imbues them with preternatural abilities.
wareya

Post by wareya »

It shows up as a magical buff, but as this thread indicates, it doesn't act like magical buffs at all. Showing up as a magical buff is basically a property of the game's UI.

The original developers would have just made it a normal buff if they didn't care. They went out of their way to make it not act like a normal buff.