Is there a way to disable the new 'anti climbing' feature of 0.42?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
HyenaOfDoom

Is there a way to disable the new 'anti climbing' feature of 0.42?

Post by HyenaOfDoom »

One of the bug fixes of the latest release was "Players can no longer climb sheer terrain by jumping and then moving forwards in the air" but for me this seems to be causing a few problems, can this feature be disabled in the ini somehow? if it can be how can I do it?

Basically it seems (and this is me guessing) to be done by disabling the jump command when the player is near a steep slope and I am finding that I can't jump if I am near a rock, I keep getting stuck on the floor in places that in the past I could just jump and get up a small rise I'm having to walk around bits of terrain, I can't jump on rocks anymore because its slope disables jumping if I get close to it (so am having to go round even small rocks) and if I land between two rocks I just get stuck because I can't walk either way and jump is disabled. over the course of about two hours of playing I got stuck badly enough to need to turn off collision 8 times which nearly never happened before.
Capostrophic

Re: Is there a way to disable the new 'anti climbing' feature of 0.42?

Post by Capostrophic »

The issue you are referring to is different and getting rid of climbing exploit doesn't do anything to worsen or to improve the situation with it.

No way to disable the new behavior other than reverting the changes. And believe me, you don't want to.
HyenaOfDoom

Post by HyenaOfDoom »

Ah, ok, so it just seemed to appear at the same time then? ok then.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

To be honest, I would rather go back to being able to climb hillsides. I was under the impression that as your character leveled up in agility, acrobatics, etc., that your character would be able to climb steeper inclines.

I will admit that I'm a retro-gamer, and so my only experience with Morrowind is what I've been playing with OpenMW (I use Linux, and haven't had much experience with the Vanilla engine). So I was quite surprised when I updated OpenMW to 0.43 and all of a sudden, my level 52 Speedsword, who was able to scale the Mountains of Tamriel Rebuilt, now can't even stand on a stupid rock in Seyda Need without sliding right off. It's actually an issue sometimes, because I get stuck all the time now. Not like what what HyenaOfDoom said. My character can still jump, but sometimes I accidentally slide into ditches, and because all the rocks around me are too steep, I can't "climb" out and usually have to resort to levitating or using coc.

I'm not sure how close to Vanilla behavior this is, but so far it's caused more pain than helped. At least, for me. I would like it if there were a away to alter the values of how steep an incline a character can climb, or maybe implement a linear leveling function that allows higher levels to climb steeper inclines. Not being able to climb (even just moderately) is like playing Destroy all Humans without a jetpack.
magamo

Post by magamo »

Athletics is a factor of how fast your character runs and swims (Along with the speed attribute), Acrobatics controls how high you can jump, and how far you can fall without taking falling damage. Really, what you're looking for is the Levitation spell, the Jump spell, or building your acrobatics.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

FWIW, the current OpenMW behavior is much closer to the vanilla. When I tested vanilla somewhere in the beginning of 2016, I had been amazed on how much more fluid the movement was in vanilla compared to OpenMW, although the player character doesn't get stuck in ropes in OpenMW.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

Almost all my attributes (except luck and personality) are at 100. I'm also a high level Alteration caster, and can levitate and high jump on command, basically.

I just personally felt that it was more natural to be able to climb steeper inclines as agility increased. However, I may just be projecting how Daggerfall works to how I want Morrowind to be.

In the future, when it's possible to make mods with extra attributes, I may simply pay someone to make a mod for a climbing skill, like Daggerfall had. While it's a nuisance, I don't expect anyone to change Vanilla behavior just because it would be a better system.