Distant Land Status?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Starker

Distant Land Status?

Post by Starker »

I cannot find definitive information on distant land in Open MW. This page...

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ile_tweaks

... is outdated. I tried the instructions anyway and they didn't work. The link provided on the page to the current version is dead. These instructions...

https://openmw.org/2017/distant-terrain/

...also do not work. What's going on with this feature? I found some people discussing the temporary removal of distant land, but those posts were made before the official dev update on distant land, which stated that it is implemented.
akortunov

Re: Distant Land Status?

Post by akortunov »

TES3MP again? If yes, TES3MP uses an outdated OpenMW version, IIRC. If no, only distant terrain is implemented for now (instructions in your second link).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think TES3MP should be up to date with distant terrain and working, they even merge recent commits. You need to change settings.cfg, but not default-settings.cfg.

The removal of distant land was done when we migrated from Ogre to OSG. Today we have distant terrain implemented on OSG again.
JohnMaster

Post by JohnMaster »

akortunov wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 08:45 TES3MP uses an outdated OpenMW version, IIRC.
David updates his fork to the OpenMW master. If I'm using Github correctly TES3MP 0.6.0 is actually ahead of OpenMW 0.42.0.

https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/compar ... s3mp-0.6.0
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

This worked fine for me in OpenMW 0.42.
Truth be told I'd say that they also work in TES3MP, but my memory can be playing trick on me. I'll test when I get back home.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Yes, Distant Lands is working on TES3MP.
CarbonoxInfernox

Post by CarbonoxInfernox »

Distant terrain is just not working for me. I pushed view distance way out and turned on distant terrain in my settings.cfg file, and I can still only see a few cells away.
magamo

Post by magamo »

Perhaps post your settings.cfg, and we could help. Also, are you using OpenMW >= 0.42.0?
CarbonoxInfernox

Post by CarbonoxInfernox »

whoops, I feel dumb. I didn't have the setting under [terrain] in my settings file. I thought those headers were just for organization, but apparently it matters. distant terrain works now.
sonicboom12345

Post by sonicboom12345 »

I copied the settings from the second link and I'm getting awful FPS... Not sure why, I just upgraded my whole computer a week ago. I must be doing something wrong, but this is all a bit user-unfriendly...

I only hope when OpenMW hits 1.0, all of these settings will be put on a slider accessible through the in-game video menu. It's painstaking to tinker with config files in Notepad, then troubleshoot why they're getting poor performance... I know OpenMW is still in development, but I'm holding out hope I'll be able to get view distance comparable to what I had with MGE some years ago.