Openmw is the future.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Acer51

Re: Openmw is the future.

Post by Acer51 »

First off I want to say that although you might not be one for the "hype" the excitement of the TES3MP release has given much needed life and rejuvenation into the OpenMW project.

In response to the release, OpenMW has picked up new developers, and the 1.0 release is now visible and within the foreseeable future.

So this has been really good for the project, and although I'll try to respond to you civilly here, I have to admit, I don't actually understand whatever strange motivation you have for tearing people down for being excited about it.
It's not a lack of optimism, but to call OpenMW multiplayer "the most interesting thing in gaming this year" is extremely over the top. I doubt even the most ardent OpenMW developer would agree with you.
Well to be fair, it hasn't been that interesting a year in gaming, even so it is REALLY interesting. I would say enough for it to be the best thing I've seen in gaming this year.

Not just because of what has been accomplished by the way, but also because of the technological implications of this development. And you're right about one thing, this project isn't going to succeed just because I was excited about it. It will stand on its own merits.

So no I don't think it's hyperbolic at all to claim TES3MP and OpenMW are the most interesting/exciting thing in gaming this year, if you have a list of project/games that you find so much more interesting than why don't you recommend them to me?

And you're right about the developers by the way, I've spoken to David over Discord a few times and he is one of the coolest, most humble people you will ever meet. He actually told me, and I quote "I don't think enabling a feature for a 15 year old game is going to make me famous." Which is a completely reasonable stance for him to take, it's his baby and although it was clear that he was beaming at the reception his project had been receiving, I do understand his moderation.

I think maybe you are just so jaded and cynical that you can't stand to see a little bit of love for OpenMW.
Acer51

Post by Acer51 »

I mean yea, I can't think of anything that was really interesting this year besides this, but hey it's only August.

Mass Effect: Andromeda was a total disappointment, and that was the only AAA title that really interested me this year. I honestly wished they hadn't released the game, but off topic.

Often, noteworthy developments in EVE Online are of a socio-economic interest, but actually the game's pretty stagnant right now. Not that stagnation is totally uninteresting from a scientific perspective, but still.

If Tamriel Rebuilt released a new full release/expansion this year, that would be just as interesting as far as initial content, but not technically speaking.

Best game to come out in recent memory was Stellaris, but that was more than a full year ago, so......

Yea, I guess objectively speaking calling something the "most interesting thing in gaming this year" is about as verifiable as claiming a movie is the "best of the year" but I mean, hell, it's an opinion.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Squadron 42 (Star Citizen's single player component) should release at the end of the year. Even if it turns out not to live up to the hype it's generated in terms of actually being fun, it should show the absolute limit of what modern hardware can push out in a lot of aspects that a lot of triple A games don't bother with.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

"Keep your feet on the ground" is a funny thing to say when talking about Morrowind - the last TES game to feature levitation.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

DecumusScotti wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 11:43 "Keep your feet on the ground" is a funny thing to say when talking about Morrowind - the last TES game to feature levitation.
In Mounrhold, levitation is forbidden so not to offend Almalexia, as Nobody may be higher than the Goddess

ST
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

Moon sugar is forbidden for the same reason.
lysol

Post by lysol »

heilkitty wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 14:30 Moon sugar is forbidden for the same reason.
Badun tsssss! :)
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

"It's over, Sotha Sil! I have the high ground!"
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

whats with all this puns
Arakhor

Post by Arakhor »

We want to get you some experience with pungeoneering!