Massive stutter + "No unused sound buffers to free, using xxxxxxxx bytes !" in Sadrith Mora/Wolverine Hall

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Balmoraishome

Massive stutter + "No unused sound buffers to free, using xxxxxxxx bytes !" in Sadrith Mora/Wolverine Hall

Post by Balmoraishome »

Hey guys!

So I'm having some major performance issues in Sadrith Mora/Wolverine Hall. The game stutters heavily in the general area and makes it a pain to visit the city.

On investigating and looking at the openmw.log, I am SPAMMED with the following message:

"No unused sound buffers to free, using xxxxxxxx bytes !"

Where xxxxxxxx is a "random" number.

This is definitely a mod issue, as I tested with vanilla morrowind and everything was smooth, then tested with the official plugins, and everything was working fine.

I'm trying to figure out what mod is causing this - maybe someone could tell me what this error message means so I can better figure out my issue?
Attachments
screenshot of openmw.log
screenshot of openmw.log
Pop000100

Re: Massive stutter + "No unused sound buffers to free, using xxxxxxxx bytes !" in Sadrith Mora/Wolverine Hall

Post by Pop000100 »

we cant know what mod is causing it with a list.
Chris

Re: Massive stutter + "No unused sound buffers to free, using xxxxxxxx bytes !" in Sadrith Mora/Wolverine Hall

Post by Chris »

Balmoraishome wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 01:25 I'm trying to figure out what mod is causing this - maybe someone could tell me what this error message means so I can better figure out my issue?
The message means the sound buffer cache is using more memory than it's allowed to, and there's not enough unused cache entries to bring it back down. It can happen if you're using mods that add long, high-quality sound effects, and mods that play a lot of those sounds continuously (music doesn't count; that's streamed, not cached).

The default cache sizes are fine for the vanilla game, though they may be a bit low for mods that add a lot of (high quality) ambient sounds. In your screen shot I see at one point it's using almost 52MB, where the default max cache size is 16MB (it will still load and play the extra sounds, it just complains about it and will be quick to free what it can next time). The cache sizes can be changed by editing settings.cfg:
https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master ... -cache-min
https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master ... -cache-max

It might not be a bad idea to increase the default cache sizes, although I wouldn't know what an appropriate size would be. Setting the max to 64MB would eliminate the warnings I see in that log, though it probably should be higher to leave enough head room (the idea is that the cache can comfortably hold a more than it will need to use at a given time, so by the time buffers get purged, it will remove sounds that haven't played in a good while and aren't likely to play again soon).
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

Pop000100 wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 05:07 we cant know what mod is causing it with a list.
Thanks for the replies guys!

Here's my current mod list:
Spoiler: Show
Plus a few esp-less mods such as ones that add splash screens, Windows glow, Darknut's textures. NONE of these plugin-less mods are the culprit though, already tested.

EDIT: After more testing, I found this line in my log. Is this a clue to solving what's causing my issue?
Attachments
Music/abot\10sec_silence.mp3
Last edited by Balmoraishome on 23 Jul 2017, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

Chris wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 05:30 The message means the sound buffer cache is using more memory than it's allowed to, and there's not enough unused cache entries to bring it back down. It can happen if you're using mods that add long, high-quality sound effects, and mods that play a lot of those sounds continuously (music doesn't count; that's streamed, not cached).
OK that could narrow down the list.. I can think of a few mods of mine that adds sounds to Sadrith Mora/Wolverine Hall:

Animated Morrowind, Animated Morrowind II, Animated Morrowind extended, Abot's Boats, Banners with sound.
Chris wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 05:30 It might not be a bad idea to increase the default cache sizes, although I wouldn't know what an appropriate size would be. Setting the max to 64MB would eliminate the warnings I see in that log, though it probably should be higher to leave enough head room (the idea is that the cache can comfortably hold a more than it will need to use at a given time, so by the time buffers get purged, it will remove sounds that haven't played in a good while and aren't likely to play again soon).
What effect would this have on my game and computer? I'm very much a technical "idiot", so I have no clue what the effect on my computer would be if I changed the max cache size to 64MB+

EDIT: After more testing I found this in my openmw.log. Is this helpful to finding out the cause of my issue?
Attachments
Chris

Post by Chris »

Balmoraishome wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 12:29 What effect would this have on my game and computer? I'm very much a technical "idiot", so I have no clue what the effect on my computer would be if I changed the max cache size to 64MB+
Shouldn't have much (if any) negative effect, since it's not that much more memory. I'd probably increase the min cache size too, to avoid clearing too many buffers (i.e. sounds that have a good chance of playing again soon) when the max is reached.
EDIT: After more testing I found this in my openmw.log. Is this helpful to finding out the cause of my issue?
No. Those are just extra silent music files being played, to randomize the amount of time between actual music tracks.
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

Chris wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 13:11
Balmoraishome wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 12:29 What effect would this have on my game and computer? I'm very much a technical "idiot", so I have no clue what the effect on my computer would be if I changed the max cache size to 64MB+
I'd probably increase the min cache size too, to avoid clearing too many buffers (i.e. sounds that have a good chance of playing again soon) when the max is reached.
Thanks for the advice, will definitely try out that and test the issue again.

What would you suggest I change the min cache size to?

So max should be 64MB+ (I'm thinking 66MB?) and min cache size should be set to...?
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

UPDATE:

OK. Played with the min/max buffer cache settings and sadly this does NOT help the stuttering in performance.

It DOES, however, get rid of the "No unused sound buffers to free, using xxxxxxxx bytes" message in the openmw.log, so I guess that's a positive.
lysol

Post by lysol »

It's probably the physics bug again. In certain places with complex objects, the physics engine hits the roof. This is partly fixed in the upcoming 0.42. Are you by any chance running 0.41 now? If yes, try download the latest RC or the latest nightly.
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

lysol wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 16:16 It's probably the physics bug again. In certain places with complex objects, the physics engine hits the roof. This is partly fixed in the upcoming 0.42. Are you by any chance running 0.41 now? If yes, try download the latest RC or the latest nightly.
Ah ok. I am, in fact, running the latest nightly build (22nd July), though!

But the weird thing is when disabling all my mods and just using vanilla + DLCs + official plugins, the issue isn't there and I'm able to walk without the game stuttering.