[Possibly Solved] [Mac OS X] Balmora causes game to freeze (OpenMW 0.42)

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Balmoraishome

[Possibly Solved] [Mac OS X] Balmora causes game to freeze (OpenMW 0.42)

Post by Balmoraishome »

Hey guys,

I've been trying for days to fix this issue but with no luck.

As the title suggests, OpenMW freezes upon trying to load Balmora - whether by traveling via Silt Strider, using console command "coc Balmora" AND even by simply approaching Balmora.

I really want to figure out the cause of this and I'd be grateful to anyone who could assist me.

If it helps: I launched my last attempt via Terminal and managed to record what Terminal said, but I'm way over my head and don't understand what I'm supposed to be looking out for:
Spoiler: Show
Where it ends is where I had to force-quit. If anyone could help me I'd be incredibly grateful, thank you
Last edited by Balmoraishome on 07 Jul 2017, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderforge

Re: [Mac OS X] Balmora causes game to freeze (OpenMW 0.42)

Post by Thunderforge »

Did you have any mods loaded? And have you ever been able to visit Balmora in the past?
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

Thunderforge wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 02:36 Did you have any mods loaded? And have you ever been able to visit Balmora in the past?
Thanks for the reply! Check the spoiler part of my post - the list of mods I use is there.

But the funny thing is, I've gone to Balmora several times without problems. And also, loading a previous save let's me visit Balmora.

The last mod I installed is Welcome to the Arena. Is it possible that this mod is the cuprit? I tried deactivating it though and visiting Balmora and still it freezes..
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

First of all, what do you mean by "freeze"? Game hangs or just has a low FPS? If latter, hit F3 twice and determine which section causes slowdown. For example, maybe you have a problem with scripts in one of your plugins.

Also you can try to load your save without any third-party plugins and see if there is a difference. If yes, you can determine which plugin causes a slowdown. If no, please attach your savegame.
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 10:56 First of all, what do you mean by "freeze"? Game hangs or just has a low FPS?
Sadly by "freeze" I really do mean freeze - as in, OpenMW is completely unresponsive and I am forced to quit the program.
akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 10:56 Also you can try to load your save without any third-party plugins and see if there is a difference. If yes, you can determine which plugin causes a slowdown.
I've been doing that and testing to see which plugin might be causing this - but no matter which plugin I disable, the issue still remains. If it helps though: I've found the earliest save where this problem does not happen. Weirdly enough, no mods were added/removed during that period so I'm clueless as to what might have suddenly caused this issue.
akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 10:56 If no, please attach your savegame.
OK, will do this - again, thank you guys so much!
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

Ok so here we go - I had to upload via Google Drive since apparently the file extension is invalid here.

I've attached the Fault Save, as well as the Earliest non-freezing Save.

Faulty Save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yaoo ... UwZ28/view

Earleist non-freezing Save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yaoo ... JoMk0/view
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Strange. I just tested your "faulty" save. It works fine for me.
Some non-esp mods maybe? High-poly meshes replacers, for example?

Also you can try to use latest nightly build.
I am forced to quit the program.
Via task manager or via main menu?
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 13:43 Strange. I just tested your "faulty" save. It works fine for me.
Some non-esp mods maybe? High-poly meshes replacers, for example?
Hmm ok - first of all thank you so much for testing it out for me, appreciated.

No High-poly meshes replacers, or even texture replacers installed...Guess I have to go back and test out what mod(s) might be causing this.

Did you happen to look at the Terminal log I sent in the original first post? I spotted a few "warnings" but sadly I'm out of my expertise when looking at the log. Maybe those have something to do with freezing OpenMW?
akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 13:43
I am forced to quit the program.
Via task manager or via main menu?
via task manager/force-quit (CTRL+ALT+ESC on Mac).
akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 13:43
Also you can try to use latest nightly build.
Thanks for the heads up! I tried looking in the forums and on the OpenMw page but couldn't find an answer: what exactly are the nightly builds and how do they differ from the other builds released...?

Thanks again for your help, super appreciated
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Thanks for the heads up! I tried looking in the forums and on the OpenMw page but couldn't find an answer: what exactly are the nightly builds and how do they differ from the other builds released...?
Just are development builds with recent changes. 0.42 is a quite old already.
Latest builds for Mac OS can be found here (just download a file with newer modification date).
Maybe those have something to do with freezing OpenMW?
These warnings mostly about script errors in KS_Julan_Ashlander Companion_2.0.esp
Also I see a lot of plugins in your log, but do not see separate paths for its resources. Did you just put all textures, meshes, etc. in Data Files folder? If yes, maybe you have some bugged files in Data Files. In this case you can back up your OpenMW installation and can try to load your save with clean OpenMW installation.

And can any Mac user test the attached save? Maybe this bug is a platform-specific.
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 16:59 Just are development builds with recent changes. 0.42 is a quite old already.
Latest builds for Mac OS can be found here (just download a file with newer modification date).
Thanks! Yeah I found that link and will test it out, thanks!
akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 16:59 These warnings mostly about script errors in KS_Julan_Ashlander Companion_2.0.esp
Ah ok. I guess they aren't related to this issue? Should I be worried about those script errors?
akortunov wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 16:59 Also I see a lot of plugins in your log, but do not see separate paths for its resources. Did you just put all textures, meshes, etc. in Data Files folder? If yes, maybe you have some bugged files in Data Files. In this case you can back up your OpenMW installation and can try to load your save with clean OpenMW installation.

Yes - I manually placed the appropriate files in the proper areas in the Date Files folder. Was this not correct..? It's more-or-lesshow I modded my Skyrim and since the mods worked in-game, I assumed it was the correct method.

I'll definitey try a clean install though!