Partial use of OpenMW engine?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
jaruza

Partial use of OpenMW engine?

Post by jaruza »

Hello,
we all know the flaws of original Morrowind's engine but even today there are some combination of mods/fixes that work best with the original one, or one's mod list is already stable and need no change. Browsing through the web I found people talking about old original engine bug related to light and casting shadows system where the whole texture would lit up if some of the light would connect to it.

Now, this system works fine in OpenMW, and I was wondering, if there any possibility to release and run part of the new engine on old Morrowind with the new dynamic light system?
DestinedToDie

Re: Partial use of OpenMW engine?

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think we're completely concentrated on replacing the old Morrowind engine and there is no effort going towards fixing bugs in the old engine.

Regarding on the possibility of merging code from OpenMW into the Morrowind engine, we run into trouble with OpenMW's license possibly not being compatible with Morrowind engine. There is also the issue that you can't just merge two completely different engines without some serious workaround.
lysol

Re: Partial use of OpenMW engine?

Post by lysol »

Think of it as an engine to a car. If you have two engines to choose from to run the car, you have to choose between one or the other. If you wanted to run the car with bits and pieces of both engines, you must go through a hell of a lot of work to make it work, and even then it might not even work anyway.

Coming from a guy who does not know that much at all about cars, but still.

And then of course, there are the legal issues Destined is talking about.