Two Seperate OpenMW Installs?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
carld256

Two Seperate OpenMW Installs?

Post by carld256 »

I figure this has to have been asked and answered, but I read the FAQ, install instructions, did a forum search, and googled it but didn't see anything. I'd like to have two separate OpenMW installs; one as plain vanilla as possible for mod testing, and one to play on with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in. How do I tell the second install to use something like /My Games/OpenMW_Testing?
DestinedToDie

Re: Two Seperate OpenMW Installs?

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think you want 2 different settings.cfg-s in my games/openmw. One setting.cfg that points to a completely vanilla install of OpenMW and one that points to vanilla + mods.

I have something like this, where I have MWsettings.cfg, ESsettings.cfg and PersonalProjectsettings.cfg. I just rename the one I currently want to play as settings.cfg.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Isn't there a way to choose which mods are active and set mod profiles?
carld256

Post by carld256 »

SquireNed wrote:Isn't there a way to choose which mods are active and set mod profiles?
Yeah, you can set different content lists, and that works, but it's not really as separated as I'd really like it to be. I've been trying it since there doesn't seem to be another official way to do it. Thanks.
carld256

Post by carld256 »

DestinedToDie wrote:I think you want 2 different settings.cfg-s in my games/openmw. One setting.cfg that points to a completely vanilla install of OpenMW and one that points to vanilla + mods.

I have something like this, where I have MWsettings.cfg, ESsettings.cfg and PersonalProjectsettings.cfg. I just rename the one I currently want to play as settings.cfg.
Thanks, I've been renaming directories, but I'll see if I can get this working.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Remember that locals files have precedence over system directories/files.

So if you have 3 openmw directories, each with their own files... make sure that settings.cfg and openmw.cfg are there for example, then it would be three instances of openmw.
carld256

Post by carld256 »

psi29a wrote:Remember that locals files have precedence over system directories/files.

So if you have 3 openmw directories, each with their own files... make sure that settings.cfg and openmw.cfg are there for example, then it would be three instances of openmw.
Thanks for the reply, but how do I make that work? I have c:\openmw41 and c:\openmw41testing installed, each with their own set of MW Data Files, both still default to using the C:\Users\name\Documents\My Games\OpenMW directory for saves and configs. Ideally c:\openmw41testing could be set to use \Documents\My Games\OpenMW_Testing for everything, but I don't see anywhere to change the default behavior.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

carld256 wrote:Thanks for the reply, but how do I make that work? I have c:\openmw41 and c:\openmw41testing installed, each with their own set of MW Data Files, both still default to using the C:\Users\name\Documents\My Games\OpenMW directory for saves and configs. Ideally c:\openmw41testing could be set to use \Documents\My Games\OpenMW_Testing for everything, but I don't see anywhere to change the default behavior.
Well, you can "switch" between your installations by renaming your local directories. Have a look at my clustered OpenMW local directory:
OpenMW_Directories.png
As you can see, I have several OpenMW directories, each of them corresponding to an OpenMW installation. E.g., if I want to play OpenMW 0.39.0, I rename the current local directory to whatever its original name is. Then, I rename the "OpenMW_0-39-0" folder to "OpenMW". Ready to go.

Oh, and you don't need several Morrowind installations in order to install OpenMW multiple times -- in case you didn't know.