Swing and rarely hit

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
jjnettrouer

Swing and rarely hit

Post by jjnettrouer »

I have OpenMW up and running, except it takes me something like a half hour up to an hour of swinging at a creature to hit the creature. My character is 5th level with a Stregth of 50, and I've trained my long blade skill up to 50, but it still takes a half an hour of swinging just to hit it.
DestinedToDie

Re: Swing and rarely hit

Post by DestinedToDie »

Your strength and level are irrevelant. The things that matter are:

1. Agility. Number 1 stat that contributes to your accuracy.
2. Luck. Affects many things in a minor way, including accuracy.
3. Skill level. While it may be the main accuracy modifier, you'll still not hit anything if you ignore the other modifiers.
4. Fatique. If your fatique is drained, then you can't expect to hit anything.
5. Fortify attack. Can be gained by choosing The Warrior birthsign.

If you want maximum accuracy, you could try taking The Warrior birthsign, which gives fortify attack 10 points. It will make hitting a lot easier. Also take agility and luck as primary attributes. Choose the redguard race and use long blade as a major skill, take the combat focus so you get a small skill bonus. Level up luck and agility if you can. And keep chugging restore fatique potions if you run low after a long jog.

However if you decide to neglect all of the accuracy modifiers the game throws at you, then you've just built your character that way.
jjnettrouer

Post by jjnettrouer »

Thank you for your input, I've spent more time walking instead of running places, and even though it's still difficult to kill small creatures, I've been able to hit them more often. My Character is now 7th level. and I've added more skill points to my agility.
Frik

Post by Frik »

I know you're probably already doing this but make sure your targeting cross hair is directly on the opponent when you swing.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Frik wrote:I know you're probably already doing this but make sure your targeting cross hair is directly on the opponent when you swing.
Ya, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe our collision for combat is still a little wonky, so this is extra important. I can never really tell if it's OpenMW or if I just don't remember just how annoying vanilla is. Does anyone know how difficult it will be to add a feature to hit 100% of the time? Cause honestly, even though I enjoy the whole dice roll to hit, sometimes I am not in the mood :|
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Make a spell that fortifies your attack by 1000. However this means that your skill level does nothing whatsoever.

Otherwise, wait for dehardcoding.