Testing vanilla textures

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zobator

Re: Testing vanilla textures

Post by Zobator »

Why not try something through social media? That stuff usually works pretty well if you get enough people to do it. Maybe try to get the attention of the Bethesda twitter page or something? Todd Howard doesn't have a twitter account AFAIK. Spread the word on Nexus and such. Maybe that would set something in motion?
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

I highly doubt we will ever see official High-Res textures for Morrowind, even if they still exist somewhere. And even if we got them somehow, there would still be poorly detailed meshes with bad uv mapping all over the place, and if Morrowind mods taught me one thing it is that high-res textures can make a game look worse if the meshes are still bad. A common problem with Morrowind texture mods in my opinion. Not saying that having these textures available would be a bad thing, not at all. But while the art direction and graphics design in Morrowind was brilliant, the actual ingame depiction often was not. Mostly due to hardware limitations, sure, but some meshes have such bad errors and uv maps and some textures such a bad layout that I believe it would have been possible to do it better even in 2002.

Looking at the vanilla textures I even doubt the high-res versions were so much better... They may have been painted bigger originally, but with the intend to downsize them later, so most details were probably kept rudimentary. But again, having them available would be a great base for better high-res mods than we have now, as upscaing always creates some kind of noise or artifacts.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Pherim wrote:I highly doubt we will ever see official High-Res textures for Morrowind
I believe the same.
Pherim wrote: even if they still exist somewhere. And even if we got them somehow, there would still be poorly detailed meshes with bad uv mapping all over the place, and if Morrowind mods taught me one thing it is that high-res textures can make a game look worse if the meshes are still bad.
YES.
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

Although, there are some stunning mesh-replacers out there...
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Zobator wrote:Although, there are some stunning mesh-replacers out there...
Sure, there are some. And there are others which simply subdivide and smooth the vanilla meshes, complete with the uv errors and everything. Quality varies greatly when it comes to mesh replacers. I myself create all my meshes from scratch or edit them manually.