Is Windows XP supported?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
TheSweetLizard

Is Windows XP supported?

Post by TheSweetLizard »

Hi.

I'm trying to run OpenMW on Windows XP SP3 but it doesn't seem to be working. After some search of similar problems in Google I found out that 'GetTickCount64' might not be supported by Windows XP, or whatever the case.
So is there anyway I can run OpenMW on Windows XP? I have installed MS Visual C++ redists of 2008, 2010 and 2013; .NET Framework too. I also installed DirectX from Microsoft website just in case, but none of above helped me.

After using OpenMW Wizard and setting up the game in the launcher I'm trying to launch OpenMW, but I get following message: "Entry point not found. The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library DLL KERNEL32.dll". The message on my picture is in Russian.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!
ezze

Re: Is Windows XP supported?

Post by ezze »

Apparently GetTickCount64 is not in WindowsXP.

I am afraid you need to recompile and hope for the best.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I've been trying to make a XP compatible executable with my builds, but somewhere in the entire dependency chain some non-XP compatible library has snuck in and ruined the entire thing.
Haven't had the time either to do a full rebuild of the entire thing, so I imagine that you'd have the most luck building it yourself if you need it to run on Windows XP.

The code for OpenMW itself should hopefully work fine though, just the dependencies that would be a problem.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

On the other hand, shall OpenMW support a deprecated operating system that won't get security updates anymore?
ezze

Post by ezze »

Deprecated OSes? You mean MS Windowses?
damiel

Post by damiel »

Windows XP specifically, the others should be fine (not sure about Vista, but who likes that one anyways).
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

A lot of softwares are stopping the windows XP support.

For example, the new Chrome update are not available for Windows XP.
JackPot

Post by JackPot »

No good reasons to drop Windows XP support light-heartedly - esp. when the fix is so easy:

https://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet ... ba8525b1b6

here's the relevant part:

+#if WINVER < 0x0600
+ULONGLONG GetTickCount64() { return GetTickCount(); }
+#endif

the chrono library in C++11 seems to be the culprit. If bullet physics did not ditch XP - why should OpenMW?

If accuracy is needed, you shouldn't be using GETTICKCOUNT anyway - this is what QPC is for:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx
and yes - Windows XP supports high resolution timers as well :-)
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

The fix you addressed is relatively new. Perhaps the binary for windows has been built with an older version of bullet. OpenMW should not be using c++11 specific libraries at the moment.
JackPot

Post by JackPot »

The issue was fixed in bullet3 on Jan. 23rd 2015 - link to commit below https://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet ... 622964e0f1