Getting paid for work on OpenMW and its sub-projects

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
DestinedToDie

Re: Getting paid for work on OpenMW and its sub-projects

Post by DestinedToDie »

GeorgeTheWarp wrote: I wouldn't want to be paid for my shit work, and we would probably prefer to encourage /competent/ 3D devs to join... in the arena of models.

I mean, if we're paying to make models, let's get something of excellent quality.
If you submit shit work on a task with a bounty, then as a backer I would simply reject it, even if it is the only submission. This is how Bountysource seems to work:

"How Bounties work:

Users fund bounties on open issues or feature requests they want to see addressed.
Developers create solutions which closes the issue and claim the bounty on Bountysource.
Backers can accept or reject the claim
If accepted, Bountysource pays the bounty to the developer."
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

For starters, why not add advertisement on the website? I wouldn't mind at all if openmw.org had ads, and this might add a bit of budget, which could be spent on hosting costs, etc.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I doubt that there is enough traffic on OpenMW to make it worthwhile. Ads pay almost nothing these days unless you have a huge amount of visitors.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

As Zini said, low traffic site so advertisements wouldn't generate any revenue. In addition to that, it would involve someone in the project to handle money... which we want to avoid anyway. No one should be managing money for the project, this allows us to side-step a lot of problems.

Someone mentioned drama. OpenMW is a very low drama project. Let's keep it that way. :) We've dealt with "drama" in the past effectively (Bethesda/Matt Grandstaff, Toxic People, etc.) but we certainly don't want more.

The idea behind patreon and bounties is to take the responsibility of "treasurer" out of the hands of the project and to support individuals who are interested in making a few bucks on features or assets that have languished on our issue tracker because no one was interested in doing them.

If you think something _very_ important, you can put that money in escrow on sourcebounty and it stays there until the bounty is claimed (feature or asset complete and accepted) or you withdraw your bounty. Multiple people can put bounties on the same feature/asset.

It is an additional incentive to develop OpenMW further including post 1.0 features.

In this way, OpenMW itself doesn't touch a single cent. It all happens between users and developers.

@aesylwinn: I understand your concern, you think that other people are going to make money off the backs of other's work. Well, there is nothing stopping people from taking OpenMW and making their own game (assets) and reselling OpenMW as their own so long as they abide by the GPLv3 license. This isn't an ethical question, the GPLv3 says you can sell OpenMW and that is one of the goals of the project anyway, make a game-engine that others can build on.

That being said, if some user somewhere in the world thinks that a particular feature is worth putting a 5 dollars (or whatever) bounty on, isn't that the choice of the user? If a developer comes along and says, I want to work on that feature anyway, I'll snag that Fiver while I"m at it, they have every right to do so. The developer is still contributing to the project and benefiting the community as whole and furthering the project.

I'm curious as to what Zini, Scrawl, Lgro and others think about all of this.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

On a side note, how would you guys feel like about me making a patreon and operating somewhat like Scrawl? Personally it would suit me way better than bountysource.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

I am against ads on OpenMW webpage (huge amount of users uses some kind of adblock plugins anyway).
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

DestinedToDie wrote:On a side note, how would you guys feel like about me making a patreon and operating somewhat like Scrawl? Personally it would suit me way better than bountysource.
I think that's a great idea.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Goal 2: "Allow me to include nuts in my diet, as well as buy higher quality food."

:lol:

Exclusive screenshots!

Just a suggestion, perhaps for those you patron you, you can provide some of your work to them in a license of their choice (if that agrees with you).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

psi29a wrote:Exclusive screenshots!
Will come in time.
psi29a wrote:Just a suggestion, perhaps for those you patron you, you can provide some of your work to them in a license of their choice (if that agrees with you).
Maybe? Example Suite related things will come with CC-BY-SA-3.0 license, so those would be available under that license for everyone anyway.

Crowdfunding is nontaxable in my country. It becomes taxed when I exchange something for money. So giving special treatment like licensing my work for patrons only would make it taxable. By providing the same license for patrons and non-patrons it would remain non-taxed.

Not ruling out I will ever do this. Are patron-only license requests really in demand right now in the OpenMW community?