Morrowind System Comparison Chart

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Capostrophic

Re: Morrowind System Comparison Chart

Post by Capostrophic »

Ferik wrote:but you do require Morrowind.
You don't.

Whoever wrote this, mods of Skyrim don't care about presence of Morrowind. That's just something to calm down Bethesda lawyers.

Well, if there will be Skywind installer and it would check for Morrowind executable or assets, then it would be true, but Skywind still doesn't use them at all.
Ferik

Post by Ferik »

Just because it doesn't pull data from Morrowind doesn't mean it doesn't REQUIRE Morrowind to run. The file is supposed to be a quick overview of the differences between them, and simply put you need Morrowind installed on your machine in order to play Skywind, regardless of whether or not Skywind uses Morrowind for anything.

Also Morrowind's file structure isn't completely alien to the way Skyrim handles things. They might be able to figure out a way to pull the music from it or something if they're really serious about making sure people have Morrowind.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Ferik wrote:Just because it doesn't pull data from Morrowind doesn't mean it doesn't REQUIRE Morrowind to run.
Wait. It still doesn't.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ferik wrote:
Atahualpa wrote:2. You must own a copy of Skyrim to play Skywind. Morrowind isn't needed here. (I think DestinedToDie already said that.)
From the FAQ just for clarity

https://tesrenewal.com/skywind-faq
A: Currently, Skywind is not available for public download due to its alpha state. When it is released you will need the following:

TES III: Morrowind, including the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions installed correctly on your system.

TES V: Skyrim + Dragonborn and Dawnguard expansions (not hearthfire)

YOU NEED LEGITIMATE COPIES OF BOTH GAMES - even if you defeat the copy protection somehow, pirated copies of the games DO NOT WORK RIGHT with Skywind and you WILL have problems. Also, please do not post "help me" threads about pirated games; you will be banned from the site.
Thanks, Ferik! I didn't know that. They are indeed doing this for matters of legality.
--> https://tesrenewal.com/forums/requests- ... ehind-this
--> https://tesrenewal.com/forums/requests- ... ind-assets
--> https://tesrenewal.com/forums/requests- ... vion-which

If we don't want to undermine their work, we'd rather pretend that Morrowind and its add-ons are needed.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Yes, and unless their official position shifts, I'll continue including that as a requirement. They aren't actually allowed to use ANY of the original assets per Bethesda shutting down Morroblivion for that reason IIRC. Presumably they'll just run some kind of point and check in an installer. Incidentally though, the music they've released thus far sounds great, and I'm a Jeremy Soule purist.

Also, thanks for looking into the core utilization for us!
Ferik

Post by Ferik »

Ravenwing wrote:Yes, and unless their official position shifts, I'll continue including that as a requirement. They aren't actually allowed to use ANY of the original assets per Bethesda shutting down Morroblivion for that reason IIRC. Presumably they'll just run some kind of point and check in an installer. Incidentally though, the music they've released thus far sounds great, and I'm a Jeremy Soule purist.
Yeah, I'm pretty much just saying it for the sake of your chart. Whether or not the program needs Morrowind's files to run is irrelevant. They say you need Morrowind to play it, so the "Must own a copy to play Morrowind" box better be checked.
Also, thanks for looking into the core utilization for us!
Glad to, it's not like I can do anything else for the OpenMW project. I can't code or create assets. Most I've ever done is manually combine conflicting Fallout NV mods together and mess with the various RefID's and such to get the desired results. So putting in Benchmarks and testing things out is basically all I can offer.